Royalty - Do we really need them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royalty - Do we really need them?

Considering the Queen Mother just died, I thought this may be a good topic for conversation. What does everyone think of royalty? Do we really need them? What if we become a republic?

I honestly think we'd be no better or worse off without them if we became a republic in Australia.

Voice your opinion.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I voted to become a republic last time we were asked........will do it again next time too...........after all we run our own affairs now more or less, also we don't get enough visits from anyone exciting enough to keep the interest in a monarchy going, not to mention there are more and more ppl immigrating into Aust, that have no connection with the English monarchy anymore
    :kay:

Comment

I'd agree - I was never really interested in it all anyway, just something for the media to feed on.
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

ppl: the queen is visiting!
        me: and.................
        ppl: isn't it so exciting
        me: no.......
        ppl: we love the queen!
        me who gives a flying f*ck who you love
        TT Original

Comment

Actually I don't think most Aussies worry about either way, but I think the thought of politicians electing a president sends a shudder down all our backs :no:

Comment

Makes sense and it is one less person we have to pay.
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Kay
              Actually I don't think most Aussies worry about either way, but I think the thought of politicians electing a president sends a shudder down all our backs :no:
              very true.

Comment

Why do you think it would be one less person to pay? As the person picked would still have a pretty hefty salery/pension plan for sure.........and not necessarily the person chosen by the gov't to take the position would be the ppls choice anyway, do away with the idea of a president as such and just have the country ruled by which ever party wins election

Comment

I was talking about the governor general not having to report to the Queen.
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Do you really think anything she has to say will change any decisions made by the govt here anyway?

Comment

That was my understanding yes, otherwise why the hell do we have a governor general - Paying him for nothing if the Queen has real no say.
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Royalty as it is now as I see it.........a figurehead with no real power to back it up, for instance the Queen decides that China must be brought in to empire...........time for war, call the prime minister of England...........right, how much of a chance in 1000 has she got of forcing a war on China? Zero, nil or none............thats why I say if she can't dictate english policy, how much chance has she dictating policy to Aust?

Comment

OK I understand now. Even more reason we move toward a republic I think.
                          Managing Director
                          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I'd reckon it won't have for another 20 to 30 years. A lot of people fought in wars because of our alliance with the Queen and they will be doing their best to keep us in the Commonwealth for as long as possible. When they pass on, the importance in saying a Commonwealth country won't be as important.
                            Managing Director
                            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

The last "wars" we have fought have been because America asked us........... not the English, I would like to know did the Gov't here request permission off the Queen before making its decision :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X