if you were building a gaming machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you were building a gaming machine

what components would you look for................money no object...............but, not some supercomputer..........the stongest common sense components available or soon to be.........please post

Athlon64 FX51 2.2Ghz
    Nforce3 mobo
    (2) 1GB PC3700
    Radeon 9800pro AIW
    Prometia cooled, with all the other bells and whistles like CD-RW/DVD-RW and so on

Comment

doesn't the nf3 boards have a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
        doesn't the nf3 boards have a bug?
        Well officlay there isnt a singe CPU NF3 yet, but its in its final phases.

Comment

I would wait for the Prescott. Dunno if I'll manage the wait though as I might build me one regular P4 before christmas. I have to wait and see.

Besides, I do have quite enough playing & fiddeling with my new 2600+ system atm. :)

Comment

I'd basically repeat what I've recently done, with a few upgrades..

Athlon 2700+ to 3200+ CPU
            2 x 512MB DDR Corsair RAM (PC3500 or better)
            nForce2 Motherboard (depending on features... probably settle for an Abit or Asus board)
            Audigy 2 Platinum
            9800 Pro All In Wonder
            2 x 160GB Maxtor / Seagate SATA HDD
            Pioneer A06 DVD-RW
            Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW
            Any case that takes my fancy, probably a Thermaltake number with Aquarius III watercooling
            Logitech z-680 speakers

I don't really care too much about getting the Ultimate lastest and greatest. That machine there will play games well for at least a year and a half. Also, the reason I picked AMD is because it's what I know. Before people start saying mentioning the old Intel vs AMD argument, I'm sure there's a much better system out there, but this one would suit me fine. :)

Comment

I think the system Beefy has shown above is a great one for games. As he said, the Intel vs AMD aspect is personal preference mostly, but I would strongly recommend a 9800 pro of some kind because of their performance being the best for gaming at a reasonable price. 1GB of low latency RAM is also a necessity for smooth gaming.

I'm happy with the system I've got and there is no game which really challenges it, even newer games like Jedi Academy. Once the next generation games like HL2 come out though, who knows what hardware will be available.

As for an "Ultimate Gaming Rig" using the best parts available, it would probably cost around $20,000 and hence would be a phenomenal waste of money for the additional performance. The Australian gaming magazine PC Powerplay used to do such a hypothetical rig every month and the typical cost was $15 - 20,000(AUD = $10,000 - $14000 US).
              My Machine

Comment

but, it'll be interesting to see how our current rigs hold up against an acid test of doom 3 or half life 2........

Comment

The HL2 benchmark is out soon and we'll see how they perform under that. Current previews of the benchmark show that at 1024x768x32 with "medium settings" (not clear what that is) a P43.0 and 9800 Pro gets around 60fps (no AA or AF).

Obviously any new game released which is supposed to push the boundaries of graphics such as HL2 and Doom3 shouldn't run smoothly at high res and high settings on current rigs or quite clearly it isn't future-proof.

I expect the next generation hardware from ATI and Nvidia will be what's required for decent performance with these games.
                  My Machine

Comment

iD always work like that. When they produce a ground-breaking game, they make it so it will run well on the next generation equipment, not the current generation. One of the main reasons for this, I believe, is that it extends the longevity of the engine, which they always sell to other companies to develop games with. Even if Doom 3 isn't as good as people want gameplay-wise, it's still going to be an amazing technology demonstration of the what the engine can do, so other companies will use that engine and enhance it in their own way, to suit their own needs.. The Quake 3 engine was a good example of this.

Comment

at the moment i think it would be

asus p4c800 e
                      p4 2.6
                      prometia mach 2
                      water cooled peltier gpu block on 9800 pro 256mb
                      4x10k rpm drives

ah damn it, just go www.go-l.com

EVERYONE LOOK AT THE SOLID STATE DRIVE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X