9800 Pro Doom #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800 Pro Doom #

Was anyone able to set higher than 4X AA in Doom 3, ATI 9800 Pro user?

Re: 9800 Pro Doom #

That really depends on the resolution and quality...

I've got mine at 1024x768@High Quality with 2xAA and whatever the default AF is. I could probably drop quality and/or AA and bring it to 1280x960. I could probably do 4xAA as well. But here's the thing: You've got a [email protected] with PC3200 RAM. I've got a 2.0A@2GHz with PC2100RAM. This is the most GPU-intensive engine the industry will see for tears to come. If you really want to take advantage of that system, go get yourself a GeForce 6800 or better (GT, Ultra, X800, etc.).

Comment

Yawg..he never asked for a card recomendation. I have a prob with you reconmending that to everyone with a card lower then a 6800. I think if he already has a 9800..why upgrade. My 2 cent. (sorry it got on my nerves)
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

I think its just that everytime he sees Doom3 he has to say 6800 regardless.

Comment

Did someone say Doom 3?

You know, it'd be really good if you upgraded to a GeForce 6800...

Alright, you got me. I'm just mad that I don't have one, so I keep recommending it, almost randomly, it seems.

Comment

I'll stick with my ATI board.

BTW... I'm burning in the new Athlon FX53 processor so hopefully I can have hard numbers to relate very soon.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Re: 9800 Pro Doom 3

OK... Here's the thing. I would love to upgrade but I have a hard time accepting the concept of buying something that will be outdated in a few years. To be more precise... the 9800 pro. Exactly this moment, I'm looking at Maximum PC magazine May 2003. I believe their highend video card was.. hmmm... a 9800 pro. Now I'm looking at Sept. 2004. Look at that.... the budget is the 9800. I would never have gotten the 9800 pro back then or now... It was $500 back then... just like the X800 now. Next year, the x800 will prolly be $200, just like todays 9800 pro. The reason I got the card was due to some back-truck business. Yawg.. I recomend some dirty conscience, a good store with little video cameras, and one friend to cover for you while you take a box cutter and tear through the box of your precious 6800, pull the security covering off, open the box, open up your titey whitey, stash your brand new card next to your crouch, walk away slow ass HELL leaving the mess behind without cleaning it up, and dont ever look back..... NEVER WALK FAST. EVEN if you do normally!!!! Walk slower than everyone around you. Drink a redbull.... it might calm you =.. eehehThat's how I... uhm.. my business partner got me a 9800 pro. the same goes for my 250gb hdd. also the same goes for DVD burner. also the same goes for DVD's. You guys should check out my collection. the same goes for all my games.....WOW somebody got sticky fingers... ahahah this post is prolly gunna get deleted in a few.... but meh im bored right now it's 4 in the morning here. I should go to sleep.....POKER NIGHT tomorrow! or today... or tonight...

EDIT: back to my original question, anybody with a 9800 pro get higher than 4XAA in DOOM 3?
              Last edited by jd53887; 09-03-2004, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                I'll stick with my ATI board.

BTW... I'm burning in the new Athlon FX53 processor so hopefully I can have hard numbers to relate very soon.
                Sweet. Although, ATI has no equivelent to the 6800, so it's not really an ATI vs. nVidia thing there. It's just a good upgrading point.

But getting back to the original question... At what resolution and quality are you running Doom 3? You can put as much AA as you want at 640x480...

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                  But getting back to the original question... At what resolution and quality are you running Doom 3? You can put as much AA as you want at 640x480...
                  That's not true. The most AA I can turn on is 4X. EVen with the other settings turn down. If I ask it to be any higher, it will just reset back to none.

Comment

I never heard that before, but I guess Doom 3 won't let you play with more than 4x AA at all.

Comment

I never heard that before, but I guess Doom 3 won't let you play with more than 4x AA at all.
                      what's the point of AA higher than 4x? i mean at those resolutions and 4x AA you shouldn't see ANY jagged edges. And I really don't mind jagged edges... i like FPS better than not seeing stupid jagged edges... just my 2 cents....

Comment

You can still see them with 4xAA. Check for railings, in particular. Even at a high resolution with 4xAA those can still appear jagged. But if it doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it. Aliasing is really a matter of personal preference.

Comment

You can still see them with 4xAA. Check for railings, in particular. Even at a high resolution with 4xAA those can still appear jagged. But if it doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it. Aliasing is really a matter of personal preference.
                          yah phone wires has the worse jagged wires... doesn't bother me *shrug*

Comment

bothers me... bothers me a lot!!!! The point of playing new games is to play with quality. Doom 3 with it's new graphic and engine thingies comes out n u play like it could have been made 3 years ago...???? why would you do that?

Comment

Working...
                            X