Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XFX GeForce 8600GTS XXX - nVidia's new mainstream DX10 is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFX GeForce 8600GTS XXX - nVidia's new mainstream DX10 is here!

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "XFX GeForce 8600GTS XXX - nVidia's new mainstream DX10 is here!"

Re: XFX GeForce 8600GTS XXX - nVidia's new mainstream DX10 is here!

Nice review. Question regarding the first pic on the into page. What kind of power supply has a power connector that looks beefy like that? I like it. I even the Gigabyte Cooler looks cool.

Comment

Good review , but.........

Nvidia hamstrung these cards with only 32 pixel shaders. 7600GT's are keeping up to them, never mind 7900GS's beating them. They are very dissapointing if you ask me.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

In some games. In some titles, they perform right up there with X1800/X1900 and 7800/7900 series cards. When DX10 comes out, it'll be another story entirely.

That said, Nvidia certainly could have made these better for what they cost.

Comment

$240? Or maybe $480 in SLI? I will get two of these!

When we migrate to Ontario, Canada, these XXX'rs will be cheaper, and here I go, new Rig!

Although It is bad for some people, It is very good for people building new rigs, or upgrading from old ones, like my Radeon 9550SE which deserves its retirement.

Crappy stock cooling and price premium aside, these will rock.

Comment

I agree Yawg, under DX10 and in game, I am sure they are respectable since I have a 7900GS that plays games quite well. But they had initially leaked this series would have double the shaders that they do, that is the reason for my real negativity and disappointment. I was about to sell my GTO's for 2 of these, but when I realized it would technically be a downgrade, no thanks. I won't be going Vista until it has been out for a few years so that the bugs can be worked out, just like XP. XP works very well so I see no need to buy something new in the way of an OS.

If you ask me, this is a golden prime opportunity for ATI to waltz in with a killer $250 midrange card and clean up in that market. The 8800's have a solid hold on the high end, but the midrange DX10 market has nothing to run out and buy.

Aguiluz, you can get a single 8800 GTS 640MB card for less than $480 that will stomp 8600 GTS SLI into the ground with one hand tied behind it's back. These cards are poorly performing for the pricetag if you ask me. The most the GTS should cost should be about $175US in my book.
            Last edited by casecutter; 04-19-2007, 07:40 AM.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
            X