Clear All

• New computer

Im planning to build this computer:

CPU: Intel core 2 QUAD Q6600
    MB: ASUS P5E-X38
    RAM: GEIL GX22GB6400UDC(1GX2) DDR2 800 2GB DUAL CHANNEL KIT
    Video: Nvidia geforce 7600GT PCI-e [ scavenged off my old computer]
    HDD: 250GB any brand

This will cost me around 700 something [AU$] will it last me for around 2-3 years? And is quad core going to be viable later on? [around 2-3 months] or should i stick with a fast dual core cpu?

N.b i dont need a case and monitor, already have one
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Re: New computer

The only thing you might have issues with later on is the video card. For most games out now it will work fine, but I can see a time in the not too distant future when it may not have enough power to game. If this isn't a problem with you, then the system should easily last your desired 2-3 years.

As for quad core, either that or a good dual core will work well. Not a lot of programs are really taking advantage of four cores, but odds are good that this will change. Something else that will likely change is base operating systems. While XP and Vista both offer 32 and 64 bit systems, I think that 64 bit will be the norm before too long.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I don't agree with the mainboard. I't won't take a positiv effect to use the new x38-chipset , but it's much more expensive. So stay at the P35 chipset or better one with a Gforce-chipset in order to use two GPUs in a SLI-connection. I'ld think about the GPU,too. Maye the 8600GT? If you've got the time to wait until January 2008 I'ld prefer it to buy the penryn-CPU-generation. Maybe the Q9450? It will be about 10% faster in usual things and in some things even more. Maybe the bigger L2-Cache will take effect. If you can wait maybe you can even buy a Mainborad with the brand new 780-chipset which will be sold in January. (Maybe the 780i-DS5; there are already pictures in the web) I know I agree with nearly nothing, but maybe I can help you.

Comment

Yeh, ill be buying it in late january =]. buy the new parts.
        Asrock P55-Extreme
        Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
        2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
        ASUS HD5850
        1TB Samsung SATA II
        Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Well it is a good configuration accept the Graphic card, i think it will last near about 1-2 years only that is general life of the graphic card.

Comment

why should you not plan to purchase the leaptop.

Comment

Tis a good spec, I'm using 4gb of that ram and it does me fine (fixed my issues with it), it overclocks very well and is stable, and works with the q6600 awesomely.
              The 7600GT is a good card, I've just upgraded from my old one to an 8800GT. If you're going to upgrade that at some point, just go for the 8800. It's more expensive, but it'll futureproof you very nicely and if you're going to buy a 7-series nforce board, it'll take advantage of PCI-e 2.0 whereas an 8600GT won't.

Comment

Working...
              X