Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about heat in the home and old PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about heat in the home and old PC?

I'm giving my old PC to my mom, but in the summer their house gets very hot. They don't have any AC. I'm wondering if this will be bad for the computer?

This is the system: ASUS P4P800, Intel P4 HT 2,4GHz (with stock HS and fan), Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU, 2GB KIngston PC3200, Radeon 32MB PCI graphics card, running Windows XP Home (SP2). I'm thinking I should upgrade the CPU HS and buy some new case fans.

Aside from the heat question can anyone recommend a good HS for the old P4?

Thanks.

Re: Question about heat in the home and old PC?

Thermalright and Thermaltake both made very good heatsinks for that processor.

As to the heat issue, as long as you have decent airflow and an above average heatsink you should do all right... depending on how hot HOT really is. If you are talking very high temperatures then you may still run into issues. Moderately hot temperatures should do well with the fans and cooler.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

It's interesting the conflicting opinions I get concerning computer components. One says Thermaltake is good, another says it's garbage. I know Thermalright is excellent becuase I'm using their Ultra120E in my new build. I will have to look around to see if they make a cooler for an Intel Socket 478 CPU. I'm sure they do.

My parents do not have AC so however hot out it is it's always hotter inside their house. I'd say 70 to 80 degrees. I believe that's fahrenheit. I don't know fahrenheit or celsius. I never could figure those out.

Comment

I have tested many Thermaltake coolers in the past and have never had any issues from them once they dumped the concept of an orb cooler. 70-80 degrees should not cause much trouble. 70 is a common temperature and 80, while a bit warmer, isn't at a point where you will need to look at extreme cooling.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Whats your price range? The ultra 120 fits on a 478 socket. Figure out if it will fit in the case. They still make coolers that fit into the 478.

Comment

Working...
          X