Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New system build and problems, could use some ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system build and problems, could use some ideas.

Hey all

I just build myself a new system from mostly new parts from the higher end of the price scale, but I'm having some issues. Mainly when it comes to my memory, and I think the rest originates from there.

System Summary:
    Case: NZXT H2 Classic
    PSU: Chieftec Nitro88+ 550W
    Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula / Thunderbolt
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
    CPU FAN: NZXT Havic 140
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9)
    SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB for system, Kingston SSDNow 16GB for temp files and similar.
    HDD: Some old 500GB Samsung AV drive that still does fine for rareused programs.
    GFX: HIS IceQ X HD6870 1GB

Almost every time I bootup the system the memory LED on the mainboard goes red and halts the boot. A press on the memOK button then finds a "working" setup at either 800 or 1300mhz (variates a bit what it finds, but mostly 800). But on next boot its pretty sure that it comes with the same again.

I also experience random bluescreens in windows. If I try to overclock just a little bit, windows won't even bootup but crashes with a bluescreen during boot.

The memory modules are added to the 2 red memory slots on the mainboard. 2 reasons for this, manual suggested the red for best OC potential and the first of the black slots is blocked by my CPU fan.
    The mainboard gets power from 20+4pin and 8pin. I couldn't attach the 4pin power as well cause the top fan blocks it (or I'll have to cut of the "tap" of the plug). But the 8pin should already be enough when I don't overclock massive.

I never expected to get any problems with this setup, as the combo of ram, cpu and mainboard seems very common - also one of the reasons I hope someone can help me. (Usually ppl pick the red version of the RAM, but it wasn't available anywhere on stock so I had to go with the black - but only difference should be the colour of the cooler.)

To be honest, I don't have much idea of overclocking and all the settings in the BIOS for it. On my previous systems everything worked as it was by default and I didn't have to bother with it

Any input? Any suggestions? Need any more informations? Pictures? Just let me know.

Regards
    - dJabba

PS. Thanks for the forum post autosave function, another bluescreen .. lol

[edit]
    Btw, I've already updated to the latest BIOS available from the ASUS support site. It already helped some on random system lags up to minutes long on initial install, though it also seemed to have to do with the SATA HDD, cause when I formated that it became better as well (had an old-old-old win install on it)
    Last edited by dJabba; 09-12-2011, 12:54 AM. Reason: typos and footnote
    My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
    Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Re: New system build and problems, could use some ideas.

Read your mb manual and set dram bus voltage to what's printed on your ram,either 1.5v or 1.65v,could also be northbridge voltage,but don't know how to add extra on amd systems,what you mean couldn't add extra 4pin plug? I would try and add all mb power plugs to ensure full stability
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Have you tried running with only one 4GB memory module to see if this helps?
      Even if your psu is brand new, can you test with another psu?
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.

@the power plug: The mainboard has 20+4pin, 8pin, 4pin and molex power plugs. I was very confused about this and asked in several forums. I'm used to a mainboard having the 20+4 and then either a 8 or 4pin for the cpu power.
        The reply i got was, that the 8pin (even a 4pin in the 8pin attachment) should be enough if i don't want to overclock. The extra 4pin is for heavy overclockers that need more juice on their cpu.
        This is atleast what i got told. (and the molex is if the PCIe gets to little power) Mainboard manual didn't have any or very little info except it told they where power plugs.

@the ram: I did test with 1 module. It was one of the first things I tried as that worked for my NAS build. It didn't do any difference. Thanks for the top on adding all the timings and settings for the RAM manual, didn't think of that at all. For now I just want to get it to run at defaults speeds stable. OC is just some fun later if I need more power.
        If that doesn't help, I'm going to try out the 1333mhz Corsair XMS3 from my NAS system later. Its board is RMAd with a defektive PCIe slot now anyway, so its just on the shelve.

@the PSU: it isn't all new, about half a year old when my old came with random and weird errors (gfx card wouldn't spin up the fan on load, and therefor system crashed). Only other PSU that can deliver enough for this system I got is the old I replaced. (It did fine before this mainboard, cpu and ram upgrade)

---
        Yesterday was a busy day with helping out family with "important" stuff, so didn't get around to doing much their - but today will be another fun day of booting, rebooting and testing :)
        My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
        Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
        Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

Think I tracked down at least 2 bugs this morning. I checked every single point in every single submenu in the BIOS. Suddenly to my surprise I noticed that it has timed my RAM at 6-6-6-13 ... that can only created trouble. Setting that and the speed to auto and a reboot.
          Now it runs at the 1333MHz the BIOS sees the modules as.
          I don't know why, but my guess is the chipset/cpu doesn't support more and only via OC profiles the "real" 1800 can be archived - guessing, on the right track?

The other trouble I had was the sound disapearing randomly. Mostly when switching between apps. Only fix was to reboot. I found some beta drivers for the ThunderBolt audio card on ASUS page and I'm hoping that fixed it.

Now I guess I'll let it run like this for a day or two, see if it starts to crash again under "normal" usage, if all works out fine I'll have to re-install windows again anyway. Made the mistake of just formatting the SSD from the windows setup instead of removing the partition and letting it create it itself, so it's running with 512b sectors instead of 4k now.

----
          I just played a couple of hours Civ5 to push the hardware a little. On max settings with a big map in late game its pretty heavy load. CPU never got above 39 degrees while CPU fan ran at half of what it could (~1200rpm) Mainboar was around 31degrees.

When I think back to my old system where the CPU ran at 60-70 .. this is quite a change :)

[edit] Image for show of the 2 cpu power connectors: Click image for larger version

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	751544
          Last edited by dJabba; 09-12-2011, 05:22 AM. Reason: added image

Comment

Working...
          X