Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New audio card, connectivity and home theater

Hi
    I'm buying the parts for my new PC today and I'm still mixed up on an Audio card. I'm looking at the different flavors of the Sound Blaster Audigy2. I'm thinking I want the ZS Platinum Pro for $205.00.

So why not the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy ES for $45.00. Please help me not throw my money away and figure what these thing can and can't do.

Games: I like games :)

5.1 surround: I don't have room for speakers behind me and I have a pricey 5:1 Onkyo/ Boston setup in the family room.

MP3: Have players for me and the wife.

DVD: Would like to be able to edit dolby and DTX.

Connectivity: This is where I'm really confused. I want to be able to play music and watch 5.1 DVD from the PC on the Onkyo system. The problem is getting the audio signal there. It's about 60 feet and I was looking for wire to carry an unamplified signal that far and was told on an audio forum that TV coaxial works good but that is only two channel and relatively bulky and my walls are getting thick with wire. So I'm thinking fiber optic.

Fiber optic: I like the sound of that. The Onkyo has fiber inputs and if I get a sound card with fiber out ( preferably in the back) then I have only one problem left. How do I make/buy a fiber cable 75 feet long and fish it through the walls?

Can a home hacker rent a fiber optic splicer and do the ends at home? Those thing are intense aren't they? Or can you buy a long patch cord with the ends already on it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there another way I should be looking at this? I'm lost here?

I really would like to buy this thing in the next few days but don't want to throw away $200.

Thanks
    Marc

Running optic at home through walls isn't the easiest of tasks. I don't know how you'll go finding a splicer to hire either. Plus, optic doesn't really like bending around corners too much either.

Best way (if possible) would be to use a coax SPDIF connection. As far as I'm aware, it's a full 5.1ch connection. I run a small cable from my DVD player to my Logitech Z-680's, and it works fine as a digital connection. Just make sure you use a good quality cable and connections (especially if you're going to run it through the wall).

Comment

I found this site and it helps alot. http://www.andrewkilpatrick.org/mind/spdif/

Thanks Beefy
      Now which card should I buy?

Looks like the Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card for $88.00 at http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=1&section=2
      It has Dolby and DTS and has SPDIF out.

Is there any reason to get the Audigy2 ZS Platinum for $80 more? A headphone jack would be nice but not for $80.

Thanks
      Marc

Comment

That's probably the way to go. All the Platinum offers over the non-platinum is the internal I/O box, so if you don't really want or need it, then I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Working...
        X