Automatic Bios update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Bios update

I've been re-reading through my mobo manual and have found something interesting (in my oppion.) Under Bios Flashing [method 3] there is a program on a disc [provided by Gigabyte] that will autodownload the newest bios version [just need to select which mobo I am using] and it will auto update the bios for me. Do all mobos have this? Can I trust this method? Oh my mobo is a Gigabyte 8PE667Ultra

Any oppinion would help here

Comment

well all mobos dont have this feature, but it should be safe if its provided by the mobo manufacturer :thumb: Anyways the worst that can happen is ull have to flash ur bios the old-fashioned way ;)

Comment

Ok, i flashed it works this post is pointless i think imma delete it

Comment

personally, i would not flash from within windows. i would be too scared too.

Comment

Well it worked just fine :D and im happy...

Comment

I would not do it either.

If I had 100 identicle computers, and it worked on the first one, I might do it just for ease.

Comment

It worked and my computer runs smoother, its totally fine

Comment

Clearly, any competent mobo company isn't about to host files that ruin their costomer's hardware, and our only point is, is that it is more prone to go wrong, than a standard BIOS update.

Comment

Yeah, but my floppy is USB (don't know if it would work with a bios upgrade) and it worked so I'm happy

Comment

t00lb0x

If you ever need to do it from DOS, here is a way to do it. I used Nero to create a bootable cd from a Win98 universal boot floppy. This will create a ram drive when you boot. If you have added the flash utility and new rom to it, you can copy these files to the ram drive, switch to the ram drive and execute the utility.

Comment

That's ok it's just that he's a little slow on the uptake. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bigjackusa
                          t00lb0x

If you ever need to do it from DOS, here is a way to do it. I used Nero to create a bootable cd from a Win98 universal boot floppy. This will create a ram drive when you boot. If you have added the flash utility and new rom to it, you can copy these files to the ram drive, switch to the ram drive and execute the utility.
                          Damn bigjack, thats just bloody briliant!!!
                          I was trying to think of a way to get rid of my floppy drives!!
                          thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjackusa
                            t00lb0x

Im sorry, I'm lost. Could you please make it a bit more noob friendly? Like what is a Win98 universal boot floppy? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't know heh...and what about Qflash, anyone with a Gigabyte mobo know how this is a time saver (the example in the manual is with a different mobo so that worries me a bit)

Comment

A universal boot floppy contains a series of cdrom drivers that will recognise most cd drives so they will be available to you when you boot into DOS. When you use Nero to make a bootable cd for you, it will ask you where the boot files are and you direct it to the floppy. You can add additional files to it as well before you burn it. You can add DOS based utilities and test apps to it.

kane2g

What's funny is that the couple of rigs I've used this on appeared to boot to the A prompt, even though there was no floppy drive in the machine. It didn't present a problem though.

Comment

Working...
                              X