Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little story-telling....

Hi there, i want u to hear my story now:

At first, yesterday I used my PC like everyday. But then, when i was in the middle of a Counterstrike-match the picture on the monitor froze. i tried a restart, but than it says:
    "A data is missing or is defect (I think it was cl125.nls). Please put the original WinXP disc in, to start the recover-program." I tried and tried but it doesn't reacts to something i want to do. First, i tried to boot per CD-Rom, but when i try to install it or to start the repair-program it don't recognize the harddisc, both of them not! :snip:

So, i tried to start at a other modus:
    - Safe-mode... it hangs up, when the mouse-cursor is showing.
    - safe-mode with loaded network-driver.... the same.
    - Start with the last functioning ... again...
    - Normal Start... wow, the scandisc is working, but it hangs up too. Sometimes it finishes the scandisc (I wonder, the most error files were erased or can't be scanned (It says: couldn't read the datasegment 2696-2699))
    hm... then i thought it was a hacker, who erased a file from my pc, but i don't know, i had the kerio-firewall (Maybe not safe enough : )

Now, what can i make about it? Maybe the mainboard is defect, cause it doesn't recognize the harddiscs. Or the erased file was so important, that everything is not useable anymore.

Plz help, if you know that problem. If you've got any qestions, just ask.

Have u tried a different hard with it. Maybe some files are screwed real bad and u need a new one.:confused:

Comment

I've got 2 harddisc, both can't be recognized. I just installed on one, a seagate-harddisc, the winxp

Comment

It sounds like your CPU is dying. This is not a software-related error. When a CPU starts to go it corrupts information, locks up, gives you random bluescreens etc. Either that or your memory is faulty, but it's more likely the CPU.

In any case it's now Windows-related, so I'll move this to the Incompatibilities and Issues forum where you'll get more help.
        My Machine

Comment

hm.. ok, thx, i never thought it's a cpu problem

But what do you mean by "The CPU is dying"? I have cooled it like always, and it's been working normally since 2 years, and now. Should i buy a new one or can i repair it somehow?

Comment

The best way to prove it is to reinstall Windows. Do a clean reformat and reinstall. If it still has problems then it's obviously not Windows.

If you want to see if it's your hard drives, then use the Seagate diagnostic tools available from the Seagate site (and most HD manufacturers have diagnostic utilities u can download). Because the diagnostic checks for a physically faulty drive, if it comes up clean then you're one step closer to suspecting either:

the motherboard - unlikely
            the RAM - likely but more likely its
            the CPU.

Run the Sandra 2003 CPU test over and over again and see whether than locks up or causes errors.

If you have P4 computer, run Memtestx86 to check the memory.
            My Machine

Comment

Yes, that's the problem, i can't work with Windows anymore! ... a dumb question, how do i get into the DOS system? because i can`t start windows, so i can't use that tools you recommended.

Comment

well two of them i.e. seagate tools or in other words seatools and memtest will make their own bootable floppies so you don't need to worry about logging into DOS.

another thing you can do is to download seagate's disk wizard. that will help you detect the seagate hard disk (if you haven't been able to do so).

now once you are sure about two things i.e. hard disk and memory...you can go ahead from there.
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Hm... ok that's good. Thx

I tried it yesterday again, a friend of me said, that the problem lies in the partition (i had NTSF and he meant, that fat32 is safer). So i put a win98 disc in and boot the pc, then it said:
                  "Windows can't be booted, cause of a softwareproblem." (Sorry for my lousy translation, I don't know how to translate from german to proper english)
                  So I should ask the support about: "Loading programs can't boot without DLL in "Kernel" (you know what this is? I think it's german)
                  Hm... ok, that's what it said.
                  But I'll try the programs you mentioned, thx again

And here some smilies now!

:laugh: : peace2: :blah: :wave:

Comment

lets see if the hd boot record is corrupted. unplug the hdd molex and ribbon cable. see if the comp can boot to floppy and perform the memtest86 function. if so we can assume the boot records have been corrupted on the hdd. you can use the NTFIXMBR routine or use the seagate routines to write over the master boot record.

Comment

Where can i get NTFIXMBR ?

Comment

i plagerized the following so i hope the author doesn't mind :)

boot from windows xp cd, but select repair not install.

choose to repair with the recovery console.

in recovery console, type:

fixmbr
                        fixboot

reboot and see if it fixes it.

Comment

Hm... ok, i tried the recovery but it doesn't find the harddiscs. So i went to the shop where i bought it, he tested it, if it was busted up or not, but there was nothing wrong with it, just the partition was busted. After that i went home, tried it again and the problem is still there!
                          So i think it's the mainboard after all. They're checking it some days, then i will know if it's the mainboard after all. I've got a Epox 8K9AI.

Comment

I bet it was/is the memory(or cpu). Try using memtest86 or goldmemory from floppy. One time when i had a failed memory stick, i put the hd back to fat32 with that theory and it lasted a few days before the mem was totally toast (yes it got worse). Then the same as u got.
                            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                            asus a7n8xe-dlx
                            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                            bfg 6800gt
                            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                            samsung dvdrw
                            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                            mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                            DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                            thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                            seagate sataII 500gb
                            evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                            samsung sata dvd-rw
                            2x1024 ocz black
                            logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                            ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

OK, CPU isn't it either, so i think you're right with the memory. I'll try it again. Thx

Comment

Working...
                              X