UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISC i need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISC i need help!

Have ya been to WD's website and downloaded their diagnostic software to test the hard drive? :?:

Comment

are you sure its UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISC and not UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

i've had the latter before and this is microsoft's solution
      Damaged File System
      If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps:
      1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
      2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
      3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
      4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
      5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
      6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      314058 Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I'm sure you've checked this already... but there isn't a disk in the floppy drive is there?

Comment

Thanks for all that info, that sounds like what i need to do, i however have a problem accessing XP pro recovery console. I have no setup discs but i have downloaded some boot disks - but now when i load these discs i recieve and error which says

cdrom.sys file corrupted

thus i cannot complete the setup process and gain access to the recovery console :cry: Is there any other way, cause im sure the above will work! Its sooo annoying that there seems to be no option to load into the recovery console without using the discs :(

Any ideas?

ta ta

Comment

borrow a winXP CD from someone, somebody must have one? Check with the tech dept of your universtiy, sometimes they will loan CDs to students (at least they do here)

Comment

I would check to see if u have the bootvorus detection enbaled in the bios. Sometimes odd tingslike this can come from boot sector viruses.

Comment

imo before you try anything...just take that HD to a frnds place and back up those notes or else you might be screwed.
                you can try getting your system back later but at this time of exams you need those notes and not your PC.

about recovery console, well you can't do without a setup disk. that is where XP will take the system files from, so that it can recover your install. minibubba's advice is quite right that borrow a CD, especially when the drivers of your cdrom (cdrom.sys) are corrupted!
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thanks for your all of your help guys! I got it working! I borrowed a friends setup disc for home and it worked, accessed pro e.t.c

I can't belive it only took 5 mins to get setup and check the hard drive then 3 secs to replace the file. Works perfect ;) Is there anyway i can prevent this error happening again?

Ta Ta

:thumb: : peace2: :laugh: :wave:

Comment

oooo i saw i did it a different way to what andy said, when at the recovery console i typed chkdsk /p,
                    then fixboot, y and exit :)

ta ta

Comment

Are ya usin' FAT32 or NTFS as ya file system and is the system overclocked or ya power likely to cutout? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                        Are ya usin' FAT32 or NTFS as ya file system and is the system overclocked or ya power likely to cutout? :?:
                        Well when i got the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME it was on an ntfs drive, and it was at a lan with constant power issues....
                        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Yeah im on NTFS, maybe it was caused due when turned the computer off without shutting it down properly? a few days earlier the power cut out 2 times due to builders but the computer was fine after that. Im gonna have to go and make myself a Xp recovery disc - any ideas?

ta ta

Comment

also with a stock xp install the IDE drivers can cause this issue (STOP 0x00000000E ERROR UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE)
                            or similar, fixable by the same procedure, SP1 and windows updates are there to fix things like this.
                            SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                            Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

I got an unmountable boot volume with a sudden power outage once too. And thats why i disable Write caching now. It was an unreparable one, and I lost everything with that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X