Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big problem...help would be great

Don't know where is should post this but here goes:

I'm having major problems with putting together my new PC. Here's the setup:

Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz 800 FSB
    Gigabyte 8KNXP
    Antec True 480 W PS
    Crucial 512MB PC3200 x 2
    ATI AIW 9700 Pro
    WD 200 GB 7200 RPM ATA HD
    PIONEER A05 DVD-R/RW
    SONY 16X DVD-ROM

When I hook everything up and boot up, the fan start spinning, but I get no beeps whatsoever from the MB. The screen is black. Have tried everything: double-checked the cpu to make sure it's well-seated, tried one stick of RAM instead of two (although I haven't tried all the DIMM slots), cleared CMOS, made sure there are no shorts, made sure the AGP card is seated properly

I've narrowed the problem down to the MB, RAM, or CPU. Dead CPU is pretty uncommon so it's probably the MB or RAM...just bought myself the Abit IC7-G to try..

Does anyone here have any other ideas? Thanks so much...

Well, If theres no beep at all, then its either your cpu or mobo, as there a beep code if th ram is bad normally

Comment

thanks so much for the reply...i try to see if i can try another mb

Comment

Also, try it barebones at first, With the nothing plugged in but the cpu and its hsf, one stick of RAM and your video card and see what happens

Comment

unfortunately I've tried that already...nothing
          although i haven't tried all of the dimm slots yet, read another post where someone had a bad dimm slot

Comment

Id try a different DIMM slot then, but I still believe theyred be a beep code if that was the issue, not sure though

Comment

Does it freak out with no ram? One time an assistant forgot the ram and it freaked out. Or maybe the board was booted with another cpu before u got it. I had a mobo(qdi 10b) once that would not even post after changin the cpu. The jumpers were set at default, and tried 100 as well. It turned out the bios was set on 75mhz for the celery 700(788@75)) and the new 100mhz cpu did not like that at all and just sat there. Then got the 700 back, put it in went to the bios , changed it to default from 75mhz and presto the 950/100mhz cpu worked after switchin again. Then I turned it to 115mhz/1096 and lived happily ever after.
              Is the board new? Check the battery. Could it be dead? Had that more than a few a few times.(shelflife) Try yankin the battery and putting it and another one back in.
              Hope this can be of help.
              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
              asus a7n8xe-dlx
              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
              bfg 6800gt
              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
              samsung dvdrw
              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
              mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
              DFI infinity nf4 ultra
              thermaltake tsunami dream -black
              seagate sataII 500gb
              evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
              samsung sata dvd-rw
              2x1024 ocz black
              logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

thanks everyone for the replies...it turns out the motherboard was DOA...I got myself another one, this time Abit IC7-G and everything worked fine...is that a common thing? a DOA mb, i mean.

Comment

It's not all that common but it does happen as over the past few years and near on a couple of hundred systems that I've built now I've only had 2 DOA's.

Comment

Working...
                  X