Computer locking up for no reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer locking up for no reason

OK, I just upgraded to a P4 2.8 GHZ and now my system just locks up whenever I play a game. Here are my specs:

Soyo Dragon Lite SY-P4X400
    Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ
    512 MB DDR RAM
    Antec TruePower 430 Watt Power Supply
    Western Digital 7200 RPM 175 GB Hard Drive
    Nvidia Geforce4 MX 420

The only things I upgraded are the motherboard, hard drive, and processor. Since I just installed WinXP Pro, I don't think it's OS related. My system temp is 44 degrees celsius, so I don't think that's the problem either. Anybody know what's wrong?

My first guess would have to be your video card. Even if it is the same on eyou used before and it played the same games, it might not be so cohesive with your new cpu. Just a GUESS

Chez

Comment

Is it just games locking up, or other things as well? If you haven't already, make sure you've got the latest drivers for everything, as well as DirectX 9a.

Comment

Well, I haven't had it for too long, so the only things I've tested are my games. However, the PC did lock up once when I was just doing normal Windows browsing, but it hasn't happened again. Oh, and I ran Memstat and my memory is ok, so it's not that. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

try upgrading your motherboard BIOS....that fixed it with mine, but its a AMD system....:confused:

Comment

OK, I'll try upgrading the BIOS. I've noticed another thing though too. Some programs that worked before (NBA Live 2003, Zonealarm, Neverwinter Nights) I upgraded now either quit with an error message or just lock-up. Would this also be fixed my flashing the BIOS? BTW, this is the error message:

X program has encountered a problem. X program needs to be closed. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Or something like that. The standard Windows error.

Comment

OK I flashed the BIOS with the latest update from the soyo webstie but still no luck. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Comment

OK, I've been testing all of my programs, and the PC tends to freeze up on graphic intensive ones. (games, DVDs, etc.) so I'm beginning to think it could be a graphics card problem.

Comment

So you've got the latest detonator drivers on there?

Comment

Yeah, I guess so. If the ones on the Nvidia website are the most recent, then I do.

Comment

Did you play those same games on the same video card before you upgraded your mobo, processor, and XP pro?
                      Do you have SP1 also downloaded for Windows Xp pro?

I have a feeling, like I said in my 1st post it has something to do with your video card. It just doesn't have enough unphhhh to play those games.
                      I think an upgrade to a Ti4200 is in your near future. Especially with all your other upgrades, I would have added a video as #1 on my list. Just my personal opinion.
                      You can pick up a nice Ti4200 for around $100US. And then upgrade to something nicer when the next gen of video cards come out. That is what I did.
                      OR you can upgrade to a newer one like a ATI 9700 or 9800 PRO, or an equivelant Nvidia like the 5900ultra or something.
                      I don't know enough about the newest video cards if you go that route. Although there are a plethora of other people that can give you suggestions if you go that route.

My personal suggestion would be to pick up a 8x AGP Ti4200 and you should be pulling some good frame rates and be pretty happy until you decide to pick up a next gen video card that should be out by in 6-8 months or so. Just a guess.

Chez

Comment

Yeah everything was working fine before. I don't know what's wrong. And yeah, I do have SP1 installed, I had it before and after the upgrade.

Comment

Any chance that video is sharing an IRQ with something, like sound perhaps?
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yes check ya IRQ's but as ya mobo is VIA based do ya have the latest VIA drivers loaded? :?:

Comment

Its possible its RAM, timings to agressive or incompatible. Check soyo's website for compatibility here:

Comment

Working...
                              X