Very interesting problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interesting problem...

Just bought a new motherboard (Gigabyte 7NNXP - very nice), but noticed a strange thing when I transfered my memory from my old motherboard to my new one:

My memory had gone from 2Gb to 1GB... this is strange, especially as my memory is comprised of 3 sticks, 2 Samsung PC2700 of 512MB each, and 1 Crucial stick, PC2700, of 1GB. The samsung memory is single sided, and the Crucial memory is double sided. I tried different combinations of the memory, eg, one stick, two sticks, all three sticks, and I tried the memory in various channels (the 7NNXP has four channels). Always, the memory is exactly half of what I install...

Completely bewildered, I transfered the memory back to the old motherboard, and, to my amazment, it again only registered half of what I had!!

Had the motherboard somehow corrupted exactly half of the memory on each of the sticks? Or, even more unlikely, had I somehow damaged each of the sticks so that exactly half of the memory was corrupted.

My computer runs perfectly stably and fast with the memory, I have not noticed any slowdown, even though I have supposedly goty half the memory I did before... I don't think the motherboard is faulty because I returned it to the dealer and replaced it and the same thing happens...

Anyone got a clue abut this one?
Working...
X