Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem -- Computer keeps turning off... Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enhancedstudios
    Kane -- it's an athlon xp 2100+

what should the voltage be?
    Its probably a Palomino core, thus using the 1.75Voltage

-Palomino core is square with details etched in

-Tbred is rectangular with details on sticker..

If its a Tbred voltage should be 1.5 or 1.6

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... i don't have any idea what to do... if i don't turn it on again, i don't know how i'll ever figure out what the problem is.

What should I do next? I'm at a loss. I can't think of anything else to try.

Comment

i searched google for "computer keeps shutting off" and it returned about 44,000 results... i looked through the first three pages and discovered just about every result was a post on a message board about a problem similar to mine... i found one person who had tried a new PSU, new CPU, and a new motheboard STILL to have the problem... and then he put in a new video card, and somehow that fixed it... so I just put in an old S3 Trio PCI video card and it's working so far.....

::keeps fingers crossed::

Comment

And that didn't work. :thumbs do

Comment

but i am running an intel P3 system and got the problem out of the blue one day. well my pc was making nasty whirring noises and then the shutting down started. i've not touched the graphics card or anything of the sort at all. will this problem ever get solved?
            Eye See You..........

Comment

I think I may have fixed it... I got a new 450 watt power supply today and hooked it up and have been running memtest-86 for almost 3 hours now and it hasn't shut off once... Yet again, it might have just decided to run for longer now... or this might be the cure!

If this fixes it... I have another question... I have two hard drives... All of my stuff is on drive G... including the original Windows XP installation... I formatted drive C and attempted to install windows on it when I thought there was a software/registry/whatever problem... and now when I boot up the computer you are given two options:

Windows Xp Professional
              Windows Xp Professional

The first one is the installation that it is trying to do on the C drive... the second one is my original windows on the G drive. Is there any way that I can delete the installation on the C drive and just have it go back to booting to the original XP on the G drive like it did before I ever tried to install it on the C drive to begin with?

Comment

All right! I just restored the backup boot.ini file and that fixed it. The computer has been running now for about 10 hours straight without 1 problem. Looks like it's fixed!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, EVERYONE!

Now I can finally get back to work :thumb:

Comment

Regards restoring your original windows I know i tried booting from the original and then reformatted the other drive. Problem I had was everything was on one drive but on different partitions and then on restart I got the NTDLR error or something and in the end I just reformatted the whole thing and reinstalled windows.
                  Restoring the boot.ini file? does that just give u the original windows boot option? or do you still get the choice of 2?
                  Eye See You..........

Comment

Well, my boot.BAK file was a backup of my boot.ini file right before I tried to install the second windows...

This is what my boot.ini file was when it was giving me the option to load the installation on the C drive, or the original on the G drive:

[boot loader]
                    timeout=1
                    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\C\WIND OWS
                    [operating systems]
                    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\C\WINDOWS="Mic rosoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
                    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

And then this was in my boot.bak file:

[boot loader]
                    timeout=1
                    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                    [operating systems]
                    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

So I just copied the text in notepad from the boot.bak file into boot.ini, restarted, and it worked. Now it's as if I never tried the second XP installation. And I just deleted all the files off of the C drive.

Although... for some reason the C drive still has two hidden folders on it: RECYCLER, and System Volume Information. I'm not sure what they are... they seem to be empty, but I can't delete them. And for some reason I also can't format the C drive... not while I'm running windows anyway...

Comment

I first tried editing the boot.ini file from the command line... using bootcfg /default /id 1, etc. But it wouldn't let me do anything in there... It just kept saying something about how the file attributes couldn't be restored... or something like that. I can't remember exactly, but it was 1 or 2 error messages that I just kept getting, so instead I just opened it in notepad and did it that way.

Comment

so it ended up being the ps? wow heh who would have guessed

Comment

Yeah... I wonder what happened to it. If it's something I did, or if it just went bad for no reason or what.

Comment

Re: Problem -- Computer keeps turning off... Please help!

*sigh*

I think im having the same problems, but i have a new psu, 500 watts.

I had this comp working a couple months ago, everything worked correctly, but sometimes it shut down randomly, probably b/c something was overheating. I have a amd 2800+ xp w/ asus a7n8x-E deluxe, ati radeon 9800 128mb, 1 gb corsair memory, 2 ide IBM hdd (sucky and what crashed) and 250gig WD sata drive (which i bought after the crash), and a 500w psu. I'm assuming it was probably the vid card overheating......

One night after shutting down, i turned it back on, and it gave me the "hal.dll missing" thing. I looked on this website on details on what to do and set my comp startup to cd>floppy>hdd. I thought everything was solved, but when i reached that screen :*(. Sadness..

Ive tried everything from different xp pro disks (sp1 and reg), using diff cd rom drives, and trying to clean install into the SATA drive alone (w/ the f6 and drivers). I also tried regular restoring w/ the SATA drive unplugged. But everytimg i end up at that screen, it crashes and im back to square one. I've tried to switch up the ram in diff orders, but no luck. I have ann all-in-one mobo, so im assuming theres no conflicts w/ the mobo's schtuff. In regards to the psu, i tried installing xp once w/ only the power plugged into the vid card, mobo, cdrom,floppydrive,and hdd.

Helllp some1@@!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X