Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system halts

all,

hopefully one of you here can help me out.

my setup:
    - MSI K7T Pro2-a
    - AMD Athlon 1GHZ
    - 512 133mhz ram
    - nvidia geforce 2mx 64mb
    - creative sb live

my system will freeze randomly could be on for 30 mins. to 12 hours. no display on the monitor (black screen). no keyboard/mouse response. HDD light steady on. Only way to recover the machine is reboot via power button.

I have determined that it is not the OS (running both linux & XP), not the hard drive, I have two hard drives. Not the video card, have tried three cards. Have tried two power supplies (but same model). I have done a memory test and come up with no errors. Also ran a HOT CPU demo version test CPU passed. Any suggestions appreciated. Thx.

have you tried to upgrade your bios? Note that flashing your bios is dangerous. Any single mistake you could render your motherboard dead! I don't recommend flashing it. But maybe it could help and maybe there is a bug in your bios.:)

Comment

I Had near the same problem: black screen, HDD light on, no keyboard/mouse response. Except the reset button would not work for me and the freeze came 1 to 5 minuets. After intensive testing components and OS and Hair pulling I discovered it was my MSI K7T Pro2-a motherboard. Apparently there is a known capacitor problem with them. These boards have a three warranty on them check with MSI.

I solved the problem by buying a new motherboard and ram, (Gigabyte GA-7VT60) .

Hope this helps. -Anthony

Comment

try to clear the BIOS through the jumper onboard, sometimes it may requirer the battery to be taken out...check your manual, but i think this might help... good luck

Comment

Working...
        X