Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not detecting usb ports on gigabyte motherboard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not detecting usb ports on gigabyte motherboard...

i have a gigabyte motherboard, fairly new, and i recently tried to plus in a new mouse into a usb port, and it wouldn't work. i found out that the problem isn't the mouse, but the usb port, b/c i haven't used it up until now, and nothing that i plus in works. under device manager, it doesn't even detect my usb ports, and i have no idea what the problem is.

Do ya have them enabled in the BIOS? :?:

Comment

After checking in BIOS, there are a couple things to look at...

- What OS are you using? Win95 has no native support for USB and even their "B" revision is spotty at best. If Win98, then you'll often need drivers for whatever device you attach to the USB ports. Otherwise they should be plug and play.

- Your devices will not always be readily visible in Device Manager, but what you should see is a USB hub driver showing up. Again, your OS can dictate what is available to you.

- Make sure your OS is up to date with necessary patches and so forth. Especially with older operating systems, USB support was either added or improved with the updates.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

You said fairly new so I am asuming that it has usb2.0. Did you use the proper chipset drivers rather than rely on the os to have them. I don't think any os besides maybe 2003 has usb2.0 drivers rendering the ports useless(even 1.1 wont work in some). So if this the case, get the drivers with the provided links or use the disc that came with the mobo. .gigabyte mobo drivers
        m$ usb page
        athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
        tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
        asus a7n8xe-dlx
        thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
        bfg 6800gt
        seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
        samsung dvdrw
        2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
        logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
        2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
        creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1