Computer wont boot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer wont boot...

My computer has been running resonably smooth, had some cooling issues with the cpu and what not which should have been sorted to a certain extent ( to my knowledge at least ).

Computer this morning just shut down out of no where ( i wasnt in the room at the time so im not certain what happened ) but at the time i just put it down to my computer over heating and the bios shutting it down.

When i came home this arvo I went to boot my PC and got nothing what so ever. My first instict was the psu, but my monitor runs off my psu and remains on standby, so all i can really think of now is the mobo is fried?

If anyone could help me at all, if there is any sort of testing i can do or what not, this just seems really quite odd to happen out of no where like this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

do you have an idea of the normal temps of your computer? (CPU load, idle and ambient room temps)

also does it even do the POST? any beeps?

Comment

I think where you have your monitor plugged into is just a passthrough and has nothing to do with the psu operation.

Without any info about complete system and cooling specs, I cannot even begin to guess what is wrong.
      had some cooling issues with the cpu and what not which should have been sorted to a certain extent ( to my knowledge at least ).
      Could you elaborate on this a bit more? Should have? What not?

I am taking a longshot assuming that some unknown person may or may not have attached the hsf very well and it may have fallen off causing instant cpu death. I have seen this happen before more than once.
      Open it up and tell us what you see. Is there lumps of dust everywhere, any burn marks(usually on chips, hard to see since they are black).
      athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
      tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
      asus a7n8xe-dlx
      thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
      bfg 6800gt
      seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
      samsung dvdrw
      2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
      logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
      2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
      creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
      mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
      DFI infinity nf4 ultra
      thermaltake tsunami dream -black
      seagate sataII 500gb
      evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
      samsung sata dvd-rw
      2x1024 ocz black
      logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
      ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

sorry for the lack of detail,

My room atm sits at really quite high temps, avg between 30 - 36 degree's C (could get hotter than that). My comp seems to sit on high 40's, low 50's, ive set the bios to sound an alarm when it reaches 53dC and it shuts down @ 60 (these are the lowest settings i can set). Generally the computer idles without to much problem but underload the aircon has to be running or it will just shut down. This was happening on a stard amd heatsink but now i've put a thermaltake silent boost on to try and help my cause but it hasnt really done a huge deal. Still runs fine. but doesnt seem to cool the comptuer down much more.

There are no post beeps, no nothing, hit the power button and total inaction, like having the power cord at the back unplugged.

I put the new heatsink on myself, i've put heat sinks on a few times without any problems but i am no expert at it. I pulled the heatsink off and there seems to be no visual damage to the cpu at all, my reason for thinking its not the cpu is that when you go to boot the comptuer nothign at all happens, wouldt the fans at least spin w/out a cpu?

Comment

it could be a bad powersupply, if it wasnt they at least the fans would turn on...correct me if im wrong, but not a damn thing happens when you hit the power button...just check your powersupply..thats all i can think of..if you think about it, if the mobo was fried then at least the fans would turn on...

Comment

Details such as CPU, HSF, brand and rating of the PSU, case and fan configuration plus whatever else is being powered by the PSU (mobo, drives, lighting, etc) would give most of us more insight as to ya prob.

Comment

CPU = amd xp 2000+
              HSF = Thermaltake Silent Boost
              PSU = codegen 450 watt

I run a bit of this, thats hwy ihave a 450W psu. Tuner card, agp gfx card, sound card, network card, modem, 4-6 80mm case fans (side panel has 2, not often attached to case), cold cathode, mobo, the case is a thermaltake xaser II, also has 2 hdd's.

Comment

a bit of a note to add, im not to sure wht this means, but there was a spare power lead floating off the psu so i plugged it into the hdd caddy (there is no hdd in there, it pretty much just powers the lights on the caddy), i booted my computer, the computer still remained as dead as ever but an LED from the caddy flashed on then straight back off again.

Also, the monitor remains charged and can view a picture when powering through the psu.

Comment

Like I said before, the monitor has nothing to do with dc output. Forget about the monitor. 1. Have you checked to see if the cpu fan works, try a different 3pin one to be sure. Some boards will do this if there is a cpu fan failure. 2. have you reset the cmos?
                  3. Check for burnt smell comeing from the psu. 4. Try a different psu.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by RoadrunneR
                    CPU = amd xp 2000+
                    HSF = Thermaltake Silent Boost
                    PSU = codegen 450 watt

I run a bit of this, thats hwy ihave a 450W psu. Tuner card, agp gfx card, sound card, network card, modem, 4-6 80mm case fans (side panel has 2, not often attached to case), cold cathode, mobo, the case is a thermaltake xaser II, also has 2 hdd's.
                    For what it is worth, you are using roughly 200 Watts of power... and that is a high estimate.
                    Proc - 66 Watts
                    GFX - 40
                    Mobo - 25
                    Cathode - 10
                    HD's - 8 each
                    Fans - 2-5 each
                    Cards - 2-5 each

I've never heard of that brand though, so it is possible it can't handle the load, or simply quit. And as stated before, your monitor connection on the PSU is simply a pass through AC connection, that has NOTHING to do with the inner workings of the PSU

Open up your case and make sure that the power switch wire is still connected to the mobo.

------

It's probably your power supply. Go out and buy a good brand one, like Antec, or Enermax, or Super Flower, and if you get a good brand, then you only need 300 or 350 Watts...

Comment

Codegen is a ho hum brand PSU used in many generic comp cases.

It certainly sounds like this is your problem. Try upgrading to a brand name and see if it fixes your problem.

Comment

Sorry but Codegen is one brand of PSU that I've had to replace a lot of times over the years. :thumbs do
                        I wouldn't get less than a quality branded 400W rating though.

Comment

Working...
                        X