Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple video card and motherboard issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple video card and motherboard issues.

Hi everyone -

I did a quick search to see if anyone else has had issues like mine before posting here, but didn't see anything close to what I've been dealing with all day.

My brother helped me put together a new computer using an Abit BX6 motherboard with a Celeron 1.3 ghz processor in a Slot 1 adapter kit. As they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and I have just enough smarts to get it all put together and up and running (barely), but not much beyond. The motherboard problem is that once I did a BIOS update, I'm not sure what in the BIOS setup needs to be changed, and my CPU is currently being recognized as a Celeron 906 mhz, and I get an error message which reads "CPU unworkable or changed" etc. I can F1 and get it up and running, but I'd like to fix it.

Secondly, I reset the system time but it is not holding the correct time.

Thirdly, and the issue that started all this mess in the first place - I bought a BFG Tech GeForce MX 4000, and the drivers seem to be incompatible with . . . something. I get a monitor error "VGA Mode Not Support" (sic). I'm using a Proview 15 inch 566 flat screen monitor.

In short, HELP! My boyfriend sent me here, he said you all were able to help him with many problems. If this is not enough information to get a handle on what's going on, please let me know and I'm happy to post everything I can. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Re: Multiple video card and motherboard issues.

Sounds like you need a new BIOS battery if it can't keep the correct time.
    As for the CPU the original BX6 was only meant for use with PII CPU's so you must have the version 2.0 board but you're still lucky to get that CPU to work at 900MHz as support only runs to 700MHz officially plus you're likely overvolting the core (that mainboard and CPU combo should not have even been considered).
    As to the video prob this could be related back to the mainboard/CPU combo.

Comment

Re: Multiple video card and motherboard issues.

BIOS battery, check. I figured out why it wasn't holding system time, it had to do with proper shutting down (I'm also having shutdown issues) and the fact I had run another BIOS update and cleared the CMOS data per instructions.

As for the board comments - yes, it is a BX6 2.0, and all the research I've been able to do suggests that using an upgrade kit with a 1.3 GHz processor is extreme, but workable. Since this is exactly what my brother is running, I know it can be done, with a decent vid card (he's a gamer too). I'll be calling him tonight to have him run through his BIOS settings with me; he had it set up before he left this weekend, but I stupidly didn't copy those BIOS settings before running the update. Like I said, a litttle knowledge. In any case, I've also been reading about new NVidia drivers causing problems, and in fact I had the exact same VGA Mode Not Support issue with an old GeForce2, which I was able to resolve using an older driver. That option is not available for the new card, however.

I see this post hasn't generated much interest, so I guess I'll just check with bro. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Working...
      X