Restart During windows Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restart During windows Setup

HI, I've searched through the forums for a solution to this issue, I can find others about restarting, but nothing about my exact problem, so I apologise in advance if this has already been answered.

Ok..So i get my new computer parts through, put it together, switch it on, detects everything, chuck in windows disk, press any key to continue, lovely jubley...So it loads all the windows files, i tell it to format, at 3% *Restart*...Ok, so I try it again...at 4% *restart* err ok... again... restart during loading of windows files, pre-format...Ok it starts to get annoying now. I do this over and over for almost 2 days now, with it restarting at various intervals during the windows setup process and formatting process. I've tried using alternate Hard Drives, Windows Cd's, CD Drives, Graphics Cards, PSU's (450w & 600w)... Still nothing. The only thing i havnt tried using an alternative of is a CPU as i do not have a spare socket 775 lyin' around.(I'm not hot on how the CPU reacts to faults). All the fans are running nicely, also the cpu has a really nice cooling system, so i cant see any problems with it overheating.

Here are the original specs before messing around with alternatives:

975X Platinum MSI Motherboard
    P4 3.2Ghz socket 775
    ATI Radeon X850XTP PCI-E VPU 256MB DDR3
    Maxtor 400GB SATA II
    4GB DDR2 RAM

...As you can see, I'd love to get this beast running ...

Hope that helps...

I appreciate any assistance - Cheers!

Re: Restart During windows Setup

Loosen up your memory timings. Also, make sure the board is giving them the proper volts for the memory timings. Most problems with these 975/965 boards are memory related. Try installing with only 1 stick installed if all else fails.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thanks for the help! I tried using 1 stick of RAM but still the same problem, although not too sure about what to set these timings to when i switch from auto to manual, any help? cheers!

Comment

The higher numbers make them loose. Just change the first 4, the rest can stay on auto.

ALso, if you haven't, try some of the other sata ports just to see if another one is happier than the one you're trying.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate

Comment

Just in case the one stick of RAM you are trying with is faulty maybe try one of the others. Try a different slot for the one stick of ram .... just throwing out options that you've prolly already tried.
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Right, Still the same problem

I set all the timings to the highest numbers possible

CAS Latency Time 6
            DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 6
            DRAM RAS# Precharge 6
            Precharge Delay (tRAS) 15

Also tried plugging the HD into different sata ports but that didnt effect anything

Also tried the memory voltages at 1.8, 1.9, 2.0

Any suggestions? cheers!

Comment

In my best guess, either you have a bad harddrive or bad motherboard. But that is mostly speculation. If you have access to another hard drive, that is what I would blame first.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

Well I've tried using an IDE HD but that didn't make a difference... u reckon its a faulty motherboard? Although its currently been sitting on the CMOS screen now for bout half hour, and no restarts - it only restarts when i try actually doing something other than edit cmos, surely if it was a motherboard fault, it would also restart at this point?
                Last edited by [email protected]; 10-20-2006, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X