Weird glitches in windows. Help. Stressful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird glitches in windows. Help. Stressful

I'll go to right click a file or a folder to rename it or delete and sometimes instead of showing....Add to .ace. Rename .Delete .Send To and all the normal right-click options it will only show a couple, the only way to get it to fix itself is a reset of the computer, sometimes the problem just goes away on its own, but I suspect there is still something up.

The longer the computer is on the more likely this happens and it usually occurs when I am trying to change a file or folder name in My Music (I have several thousand mp3 files stored in it) which I'm constantly adding songs and modifying.

Could this be a virus or a memory problem, or am i just doing something stupid?

I'm also noticing little lag spikes after my computer has been running for a while.
    Last edited by Brennan; 11-03-2006, 06:45 AM.

Re: Weird glitches in windows. Help. Stressful

Have you eliminated the likelyhood of virus attack by using muliple scans with antivirus, trojan hunter, and adware/spyware seeking programs? Even if your regular antivirus program doesn't find anything it may be worth trying A-Squared ( http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ ) to see if anything else shows up.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

About 2 minutes after I made that post i got a blue screen of death.

Comment

I tried to start the computer in safemode to run a few different virus scanners but F8 pops up a different window, instead of the different startup options it gives me 3 boot options (floppy, dvd-rom and harddisk.)

Is there a different key that I need to press in order it to start in safemode with my computer, or do ii choose one of those 3 options I listed above.

If I remeber correctly the blue screen said it was a "Hardware issue" (or to that effect), I'm thinking some hardware devices may be incompatable with eahc other, could this be?, im really hoping i can clear this up because my last computer got fried.. twice, anyway..

thx,

Comment

What happens if you tell it to boot from hard drive?
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

It starts up normally.

Comment

Roughly 2 years ago I had a similar problem when I installed Spysweeper and enabled some option related to context menus. You may want to check and see if you have any spyware scanners active and temporarily disable them.

Tom P.

Originally posted by Brennan
              I'll go to right click a file or a folder to rename it or delete and sometimes instead of showing....Add to .ace. Rename .Delete .Send To and all the normal right-click options it will only show a couple, the only way to get it to fix itself is a reset of the computer, sometimes the problem just goes away on its own, but I suspect there is still something up.

The longer the computer is on the more likely this happens and it usually occurs when I am trying to change a file or folder name in My Music (I have several thousand mp3 files stored in it) which I'm constantly adding songs and modifying.

Could this be a virus or a memory problem, or am i just doing something stupid?

I'm also noticing little lag spikes after my computer has been running for a while.

Comment

Working...
              X