bf2 patch crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bf2 patch crash

I installed the first of a baffling number of BF2 patches recently but ever since I installed it BF2 wont run
    , it gets to the black screen then windows explorer crashes and the game doesnt start.

All I wanna know is if the most recent patch will have all previous patches included so I could install that one and see if there are any problems

BTW I installed the patch and left it on my desktop, is it supposed to be in a EA folder?

I also have a problem with my connection, browsing is fine but downloading is flat out pathetic. I have a netgear wg311t wireless card and its connected to a 3mbit connection through my fathers airport, I would run an ethernet cable but the thing only has 1 that my dad is using with his apple.
    when I d-load I get a ~200Kbps connection
    then it gradually drops and holds steady at ~16.5 Kbps. I really hate it b/c I cant download any patches over 5mb b/c it takes about a day to download a 500mb patch.

any help appreciated thanks!!!

Re: bf2 patch crash

Why not install a hub between the your Dads' computer and his internet connection? You could then both use CAT5 cable.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

you mean I could bypass his network?! that would be awesome! Whats a CAT5 cable?

Comment

I'm not talking about bypassing any network. I'm talking about sharing the current network. What sort of connection does your father have to the internet? ADSL? Cable? Wireless? It sounds as though whatever system he has involves him connecting with an ethernet cable (CAT5 or CAT5e cable). If this is the case then it should be possible to plug a hub or router into his connection then use ethernet cables to both computers. Have a look at this webpage: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

A hub? Don't touch a plain old hub. Get a switch. That's assuming we're understanding your current network setup, which I'm sure we're not. You haven't really explained it very clearly.

In any case, I simply don't trust wireless for anything that needs speed and reliability. Wireless g has pretty good bandwidth, but there's a noticeable latency difference, which is more important for a lot of things. More importantly, getting a system working that actually has 100% uptime for any wireless connections is very unlikely to happen. As for your specific issue, I'd need to have a clearer picture of what's going on, but I can tell you right now that the use of Apple products doesn't bode well for anything involving a network.

BF2 not running correctly doesn't surprise me at all. Just reinstall it and try the latest patch. Get it from EA's web site.

Comment

My father has a cable I think, it comes from GCI a local company and I think they only do cable. The apple airport is a wireless g thing that works with windows and of course macintosh-http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html
            I guess i should get a switch
            thanks all!
            P.S. anyone know where to get a 50ft Ethernet cable?

I think I will just uninstall the patch and then get the newest one when I get a stable connection.
            Last edited by buhweet; 12-15-2006, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I agree with yagm0th, that you cant trust wireless for stability, it is lame, about every 5min. on BF2 I would see my ping spring to 1000 then gradually go back down. Should a 3mbps connection download a 3mb file in 1 second or so?

Look at this deal!!! http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...612&adid=17662 is it good?
              Last edited by buhweet; 12-16-2006, 02:01 PM.

Comment

A 3mbit file, yes. A 3MB file, no. Understand the difference between bytes and bits.

Comment

nope, what is the dif, I probably had it explained to me once before, but as you can tell (E.G., I just answered my own thread ^^ ) I have a baaaad memory... or im just flatout stupid. WAIT, its coming back! 8bits in a byte right?
                  Last edited by buhweet; 12-18-2006, 08:43 PM.

Comment

just for reference here is how my network is setup at home
                    Attached Files
                    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Working...
                    X