Intel D955XCS and P4 640 crashing for now reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel D955XCS and P4 640 crashing for now reason

I built a system using an Intel Desktop Board D955XCS and an Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 3.2GHz processor, and loaded Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 OEM. The system, sitting idle in Windows, crashes after 3 days - three long beeps like a bad POST code, the screen goes dark, and the system can only be reset with a hard power-cycle. I am using the CPU fan/heatsink that came with the chip.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong here?

Thank you.

Re: Intel D955XCS and P4 640 crashing for now reason

Have you checked the temperatures? You mention the HSF so are obviously thinking about cooling. Prescott processors have always been notorious for running hot anyway, so looking at running temps might be a good starting place.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

The one package I found that reports CPU temperature on this system, PC Wizard 2007, reports it at 40 degrees Celsius for one of the two cores and 39 for the other. I don't know how it's getting this information, but it sounds ok to me.

Any idea what the 3 beeps might mean? I have not been able to find anything online or through Intel.

The board is being reported as an Intel DG965RY, processor as Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

I had a problem with RAM - I had first tried to install G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ. It would boot on one stick but was unstable, and wouldn't boot with two sticks.

Then, after communicating with both Intel Support (who said it was a memory problem) and G.Skill technical support, G.Skill recommended G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, model F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR.

After installing that, both sticks work and the system seemed stable. Seemed. I didn't know that it would crash after 3 days of running.

Intel actually said this still sounds like a memory problem. They keep pointing me to their web page that lists supported memory for this motherboard, and unfortunately G.Skill memory is not listed there at all.

Comment

Test the memory with Memtest86+ and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by mike26 View Post
          The one package I found that reports CPU temperature on this system, PC Wizard 2007, reports it at 40 degrees Celsius for one of the two cores and 39 for the other. I don't know how it's getting this information, but it sounds ok to me.

Any idea what the 3 beeps might mean? I have not been able to find anything online or through Intel.

The board is being reported as an Intel DG965RY, processor as Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

I had a problem with RAM - I had first tried to install G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ. It would boot on one stick but was unstable, and wouldn't boot with two sticks.

Then, after communicating with both Intel Support (who said it was a memory problem) and G.Skill technical support, G.Skill recommended G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, model F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR.

After installing that, both sticks work and the system seemed stable. Seemed. I didn't know that it would crash after 3 days of running.

Intel actually said this still sounds like a memory problem. They keep pointing me to their web page that lists supported memory for this motherboard, and unfortunately G.Skill memory is not listed there at all.
          If u can, try putting in another brand of memory there.U can lend one from ur friend.I also think that this is a memory problem.Try another memory & let us know what happens.Also flash ur mobo with the newest Bios.

Comment

I had a similar problem that cleared up when I re-installed windows. I would re-install as a last result because it likely isn't the windows, but I did have a friend who had a corrupted install of windows that prevented him from installing a Radeon 9250 PCI.

Comment

Working...
            X