USB not recognized in new machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB not recognized in new machine

I have a problem with my new 680i and E6600 machine. when i put my usb flash drive in the computer i get an error saying it does not recognize the device. Why would this happen? I have SP2 installed. should I update the bios? I tried deleting the unknown device in device manager under usb controllers. but It didn't work. my digital camera isn't recognized by the computer. Note , i have 2 usb flash drives and neither of them works.

Also, when I turn the copmuter on the floppy drive searches for data from a floppy disk after the computer boots into windows even if there is no floppy disk in the drive. What could be causing this? the boot device is not set to floppy.

Re: USB not recognized in new machine

You changed to a different motherboard? I assume it has a different chipset from the previous one? Have you reinstalled Windows and installed the new drivers for the new motherboard as well as all your other hardware?

Edit: You probably will have problems using a recovery disk or partition with a changed motherboard. Unless you have a true Windows XP disk reformatting may be a serious problem.
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 02-09-2007, 01:40 PM.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

sorry I didn't give enough info. this is a new build. brand new machine. new evga 680i mobo, E6600, supertalent ram 2gb, 2 36 gb raptors in raid 0. I installed windows xp pro sp2 and all drivers on the disk and flash drive doesn't work. printer, wireless mouse work though, so it's very odd. this is the first time i ever came across something like this, and I'm stumped. I have no idea what to do.

Comment

Sounds like a very nice system. Gotta hate those little issues that can drive a person buggy. Couple of ideas: Are you using the onboard USB ports or USB ports on the case? (I saw a situation where the pinouts were labeled wrong on the case ports that caused some major headaches.) Have you checked to see if there are any bios updates online?
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Front ports usually end up getting turned to a hub. Front ports in general don't work well.

Try updated drivers from Nvidia's web site or from EVGA's web site. Call EVGA tech support if push comes to shove. If you installed drivers correctly, it should work out of the box. Don't spend a week troubleshooting if it could end up being a bad board or a known issue.

Comment

Are you talking about the nforce drivers? I installed v9.53 (latest) but these drivers only address storage, ethernet, and SMSbus which I don't even know what it is. I'm not sure what to do. I tried the usb flash drive in the back of teh case (mobo) and front. the unknown device window still comes up in both cases. Where can I find a usb driver for this mobo? I wanted to ask before I call evga tech support.

Comment

definately upgrade the bios - it can fix all sorts of weird problems
              http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Working...
              X