Vista Giving Me Major Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Giving Me Major Problems

I just bought a Compaq SR2170NX preloaded with Vista. I did not want Vista on there because I am setting this computer up as a workstation on a domain, so I wiped it and put XP on. Now I have a computer with NO DRIVERS. When I checked the Compaq website, there were no drivers available for download. I contacted Compaq (hp) and they simply told me they dont support any OS other than the one shipped. So now I am at a standstill...what am I supposed to do for drivers?

Re: Vista Giving Me Major Problems

Unless XP loads it's own drivers, you'll be forced to put the Vista OS back on it. I just hope you got a true install disk with it, not a restore disk that activates the hidden partition. Did you format the hard drive and delete any partitions? If you did, you might not even be able to reload the Vista.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Can you use a tool like SIW to find out all the hardware and download generic drivers from the companies that actually manufactured the hardware?

Comment

um vista allows you to join a domain - thats what I've done at home - much inproved over XP
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Google search for Win XP drivers. Look inside the case with a flashlight, it should be easy enough to get the needed numbers to hunt for drivers or use a program like someone suggested if you really think you need to go through that much trouble.

Comment

Figure out what chipset it uses. Probably has Intel 945 or something similar. Look on the motherboard and see what chip the onboard video, sound, and ethernet use, then go grab the drivers from the manufacturer. You might even be able to figure out what Intel board it's based on and just get everything direct from Intel (though video/LAN/sound will probably all be Intel anyway).

CPU-Z, Device Manager, and plenty of programs can help you figure some of this out, but it's not hard to get a flashlight and look on the motherboard.

Comment

Working...
            X