Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faulty Graphics Card or PSU? Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Graphics Card or PSU? Please help!

Re: Faulty Graphics Card or PSU? Please help!

Your PSU may or may not be the problem now but I'd certainly look at changeing it as soon as possible anyway. A cheap no-name PSU powering a good system is always a high risk situation. When PSUs do die sometimes they take a few other parts with them.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
      Your PSU may or may not be the problem now but I'd certainly look at changeing it as soon as possible anyway. A cheap no-name PSU powering a good system is always a high risk situation. When PSUs do die sometimes they take a few other parts with them.
      I concede that it is a "value" PSU, yet the reviews from other purchasers were rather reassuring.

Although with that said - I'm still not certain it is a power issue, but how can I be sure?
      One thing I can say with certainty is this: the only time I'm getting problems is when the system is under increased strain playing a PC game. From that I've concluded its either a faulty card, or the PSU is unable to provide the card with the juice it needs during demanding 3d games. Other than that theres the Hard-disk, but I've not had any bad sectors etc as yet. I dunno...

ps. I've updated my sig with my specs now

Comment

Also one thing I forgot to mention: the graphics card I'm using is regarded as greatly over-clock'able. On a few occasions I have used nTune to find the optimal clock speeds; it takes them from 450/1320 -> 600/1602. Now this results in the issues I've described above, although they tend to happen more immediately.

Comment

I could say that the PSU *could* be nuked. If you look at my signature, you could see the "Blown" actually stands for my Main Rig was blown. A Sunbird Generic PSU at 325W in an O/C'd system? Ack... I pushed my luck.]

P.S: I am using my old lappy. Cant play games....

Comment

Oh, and I forgot, after 1 Hour of NFS: Most Wanted, the whole rig starts to "shake," the passive heatsink on the O/C'd radeon becomes hot enough to burn fingers. That's why its "blasted forced" air cooled.

Comment

PSU is almost surely the cause. A 500W no-name won't handle the strain on its 12v rail. Go get a 550W+ brand name and you should be good for this system and any future upgrades. Make sure it's got at least a combined 30A on the 12v rail(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
                PSU is almost surely the cause. A 500W no-name won't handle the strain on its 12v rail. Go get a 550W+ brand name and you should be good for this system and any future upgrades. Make sure it's got at least a combined 30A on the 12v rail(s).
                Ah, but this cheap 550w PSU has 30a on the 12v rail! By the by, I have now ordered a Hiper 580w R-series Modular PSU. It looks and sounds the shizzle. I surely hope this sorts it...

Comment

Working...
                X