Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WinXP machine is randomly rebooting with severe systme error, any help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP machine is randomly rebooting with severe systme error, any help appreciated

It has rebooted twice on its own now (no bsod). Once while I was using Firefox and the second time while playing FEAR Multiplayer. Fear has also closed on its own saying there isn't enough memory even though I have 2gb of ram and around 1.5gb free. I can provide a mini dump if anyone can read it. This has not happened before. Thanks for any help.

Error 102 from event viewer:
    Error code 0000001a, parameter1 00000780, parameter2 c06ab000, parameter3 81b64980, parameter4 000004c0.

System Specs:

WinXP SP2
    Asus K8N-E
    AMD 64 x2 4800
    2GB (2x1gb) OCZ4001024ELPE
    74GB WD Raptor
    Asus nVidia 7800
    SB x-fi
    Everything is up to date

Re: WinXP machine is randomly rebooting with severe systme error, any help appreciate

Is your machine set up to NOT automatically reboot on a critical error?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Re: WinXP machine is randomly rebooting with severe systme error, any help appreciate

It was set to reboot. I did a full reinstall couple months ago and had forgotten about that. I've now got it set to not auto reboot.

Comment

When it happens again, let us know what the BSOD says and it should give a good idea where to start your troubleshooting.
        My Toys

Comment

Well it BSOD'd today while I was at work with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I had Iolo AntiVirus and System Mechanic Pro 7, AIM, Firefly remote, and possibly SnapStream Beyond TV running in the background or sitting idle in the system tray. Also forgot to mention in my first post that this comp is not overclocked. Thanks.

Comment

sounds like a driver issue to me. When was the last time you updated drivers?
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Could be any number of problems still. There is generally something stated before your error message, which will give a better direction to fix your issues.

As an example of the issues, THIS is a listing from the MS pages regarding your generic error message.
              My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the help guys =) I'm still working on it. First tried completely uninstalling Nvidia's WDM drivers (seem to have an innate distrust of 'em), but that didn't stop the BSOD the error is a 0x0a, btw. Digging through the link you provided I found an WinXP SP2 update for this specific BSOD, Update for Windows XP (KB929338), hopefully an easy fix.

Comment

got another BSOD today =( same IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but the error is now 0xD1 instead of 0xA. It also did not log this as a system error in the event log.

Comment

Both errors are usually caused by bad drivers but certain software (usually games or graphical) could also cause either.

Comment

As much as people hate to hear this, sounds like it might be format/fresh install time.
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate
                      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

lol, yeah thats always the easy answer. I did a fresh install 3 months ago 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X