Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! She hasn't got enough power captin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! She hasn't got enough power captin!

Hey. Got a problem.

Below is my current setup ( just purchased)
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP VIA KT400
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    Thermaltake Volcano 9 Heatsink
    Antec Trueblue 480w PSU
    Corsair XMS DDR400 512MB PC3200
    Maxtor 80gig 7200RPM ATA133 (set as master)
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128mb
    Lite-On 40x12x48 CDRW (set as master)
    Lite-On 16x DVD (set as master)
    4 case fans

I'm have a small problem with it. You see, it won't start. Powers up and everything, however, the monitor fails to kick over.

I've pulled the video card thinking they shipped a bad one. Works great in another computer. Pulled everything off the board except for the hard drive, and it still will not start.

Has anyone used the GA-7VAXP board yet? And if so, what known issues are there?

I think I down to something wrong with the DDR memory, however, I do not have another machine to test it with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zero

have you tried it with the HDD unplugged too? does it beep at all? take all the ram out and try it, if the CPU is installed and setup properly it will beep 3 long beeps to say it cant find any ram, if there are no beeps then yer CPU may be faulty, not installed right, or not setup right.

Its a pity that board doesnt have the status leds to tell ya if anything is wrong

Comment

Thanks in advance for the info!

I have not tried unplugging the HDD or the RAM. I'll try those later and let you know how it goes.

There is a RAM_LED light on the board that lights up, however, I have not been able to find any documentation telling me if it should be green or something.

I'm under the assumption that yellow is good. Dunno.

Thanks.

Comment

Looked up a description of your board. It says that the cpu multiplier is set via the dipswitch. Is this set correctly? Also I have seen a few mobos shipped with the "clear CMOS" jumper set to the clear position. Make sure that this is in the normal position. Yellow led on a motherboard is often an indication that the board is recieving power in the preliminary stages of booting up. It will usually turn green at a later stage of the boot. If it stays yellow, it is probably hanging on some part of the boot.

Comment

I do not get 3 long beeps. Instead, I get on long beep post beep when I unplug the HDD, when I unplug the RAM or even when they are all plugged in.

Weird. I'll try and jump the BIOS then see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

I'll be back.

Comment

Check the Volcano. You can install them incorrectly and not have the presure point on the CPU. The middle of the fan must be applying pressure to the middle of the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by zerodensity
              Maxtor 80gig 7200RPM ATA133 (set as master)
              Lite-On 40x12x48 CDRW (set as master)
              Lite-On 16x DVD (set as master)
              Unless a typo, one of those should be set to slave.
              Put your HDD on ide channel 0 set as master.
              put your burner on ide channel 1 as master, and your dvd on ide channel 1 as slave.

If you have more than one memory stick, take one out so you just have a single stick in your machine. Try booting.
              Else, dubble-check all your cables and go over the component install process again. Just in case you missed something stupid.
              I know ive forgot to actually plug the power connector to the mobo a few times. :)

Comment

The board has raid. If the hd is on a raid channel, cd/rw set as master on ide0, dvd set as master on ide1 is OK.

Comment

Yes, I remembered a gigabyte mobo of that model number sporting a raid chipset....as usual, the gigabyte website is a ***** to navigate/load so i gave up verifying it.

In any case, cancelling out any devices on your raid ports can only benefit you while troubleshooting.

Comment

Thanks for the great info.

I have RMA'd the parts, and shipped them back.

When I get them back and begin my reinstalling process, I'll take careful note of all your suggestions below.

Thanks again.

Comment

Bump
                      I'm having exactly the same problem
                      Once turned on, it doesnt send any video signa(so it doesnt post), so the monitor just sits there looking silly

I've tested different video cards(GF4 Ti4200, MX440), CPU's( both athlon XP 2000+), RAM(kingmax, corsair), and PSU's(Aopen 300, and ernemax 350)
                      By the way, my friends and I have tried it on _2_ of the exact same boards. I think it might be dodgy AGP or something, but I doubt it would happen on 2 Mobo's (Make that 3 including yours)

Comment

Working...
                      X