X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video problems...

ok, i finally picked up a new vid card

well, two of them - both AGP

a radeon 7500 and a geforce 256(64mb ddr)

with the 7500, the screen goes black and the system freezes within 5 minutes of use

with the 256, the screen darkens in 2 steps, but doesn't go totally dark, within 5 minutes

with the 7500, i run DXdiagnostics, and it runs the first test ok, then starts on the second (the bounce white box within a small black one), the system freezes

i haven't had a chance to test DX with the 256

i have the right, latest drivers for the radeon installed (5_13_01_3276) and am downloding the right ones for the 256, i think (http://205.158.109.140/Windows/23.11/Win2K-XP_23.11.exe from the nvidea.com website, but it doesn't specifically say geforce256 on the download page)

i have DX8a installed

there are no giudes in any readme file for either card for BIOS settings, and i have played with them in dozens of configurations too (max of AGP 2x on the board)
    there are no problems with heat
    there are no hardware conflicts
    there is 1 shared IRQ but it has nothing to do with video (ATA100 and 1394)

i've done everything i can think of in the last 4 days and the only thing left is a possible incompatability between either card and the mobo - epox mvp3c-m

any ideas anyone?

(cross posted in vid cards section)

edit:
    oh, and i should mention-
    i have a voodoo3 2000 that's in here now, and i have ZERO problems of any kind

it just can't handle the high res or DVD, which is why i wanted a new card... :(

First of all, post your full system config if it's possible...

Do a check at the viaarena forums under windows XP and/or at tweaktown's forums under XP and see if the problem with the freezes and reboots applies to you

Comment

ct_ your still not tryin' to get it to run on ya old SS7 setup are ya? :?:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
        ct_ your still not tryin' to get it to run on ya old SS7 setup are ya? :?:
        hell yeah!

ghettotech baby! ;):shoot3: :afro: :afro:

ok, ok -so i ordered a new 8kta3+pro board today :D

but i'll still need to get the geforce 256 working on this board (mvp3c-m)

Comment

have you tried the cards with a different version of DirectX?

Comment

yup, 7 thru 8.1

Comment

Basically as I said in the other thread the SS7 board is just not capable of supplin' enough power to the AGP slot to power these more modern cards (there are 1or2 exceptions to this but not your board) so ya best bet would be to stick a TNT2 in it, sell 1 of the other cards and put the other in your new m/b. :smokin:

Comment

What do you mean the screen goes dark? What are you doing to cause this?

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1978
                  What do you mean the screen goes dark? What are you doing to cause this?
                  click on start> shutdown

note how the screen goes darker?

well, like that, but in 2 steps, then it freezez

what am *i* doing? nothing, reading email perhaps, maybe opening a file or a browser window, maybe starting up a game, doesn't matter, it happens after less than 5 minutes

:very angr: :toung:

Comment

So it's just the Geforce card that you're having problems with, right? Try the monitor on a different computer to rule out a monitor problem. My other suggestion is to use detonator 6.50 drivers. That's what I'm using and I have a Geforce DDR 32mb card. I found that any other drivers results in lower frame rates in my games even though results in 3Dmark is a bit higher. The latest detonator drivers are really meant for the newest crop of nvidia cards.

Comment

ummm, no...

if you go back and read my 1st post, it's BOTH cards i have a problem with

and as posted by wiggo - this board probably just can't run these cards

i've tried everything that can be done, short of replacing the board - and i should have a new one by monday :)

:geek:

Comment

Working...
                      X