Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local Area Connection a network cable is unplugged??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Area Connection a network cable is unplugged??

i am setting up my new system. my os and apps installed fine. every once in a while after a reboot i get an icon in my sys tray that says "Local Area Connection a network cable is unplugged"
    i phoned my isp tech line and they told me that cuz of winxp, there was a power management problem with my ethernet adapter. apparently once it goes into sleep mode, i cannot get it to work until after i have shut down the system and unplugged my power cord for a few minutes. i reboot and the icon is gone and i can connect.
    the tech support told me to install sp1 and that wold take care of it. it didn't.

any thought or suggestions as to what my problem is and more importantly, how to fix it?

my system:

P4 2.4B (onboard sound,LAN, etc)
    MSI GNB MAX
    512MB ddr 2100

:cheers:

That is an odd problem to have with a built in nic. Try going into the nic's properties in device manager, go to the power management tab, and uncheck the "allow Windows to turn off this device".

Comment

i would suggest looking in BIOS settings.
      But this is THE reason why i dont like onboard anything.
      Good luck

Comment

What your tech support told you about service pack is right but is not related to your OS. It happened with Windows 2000 and the problem was corrected in SP1 for Windows 2000 and not XP.
        For further reading you can read this M$ article .
        I couldn't agree with bigjackusa and kane2g anymore, you gotta have something to do with either BIOS settings or power options.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I would suggest that you don't use the hibernate function, just power down the monitor.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

i have already tried the power management settings under my network connections. the tab is unchecked for power saving.

i'll look into the bios to see what i can find. not sure what i am looking for though?

thanks for the replies

Comment

the only other thing in BIOS would be WOL. Everything else shouldnt be related to network.
              Is the BIOS the latest update????
              I would check that as well

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                the only other thing in BIOS would be WOL. Everything else shouldnt be related to network.
                Is the BIOS the latest update????
                I would check that as well
                didn't find anything in the bios. on board ethernet is enabled. windows power mangement is set to always on and hibernate unchecked. i have msi's newest bios as well. waiting to hear back from them.

Comment

greetings.
                  I know what that is. I have shaw cable, and I have that problem with every machine I plug into it. Just today, I had to do it about 20 times while building a machine. It seems that in internet options/connections/lan settings, the automaticly detect settings tick box makes that happen when unticked.
                  Unfortunatly on every machine i make, i use a hosts redirect file, to ban adds and banners and censoring for kids, and it won't work with the tick in the box.
                  This never happened with dsl.

The fix i use is unpluging the power every time just before hitting the power button except when restarting.
                  The cable company blames this on faulty hardware, but it does the same thing with 3 different machines every week.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by maximus7001
                    greetings.
                    I know what that is. I have shaw cable, and I have that problem with every machine I plug into it. Just today, I had to do it about 20 times while building a machine. It seems that in internet options/connections/lan settings, the automaticly detect settings tick box makes that happen when unticked.
                    Unfortunatly on every machine i make, i use a hosts redirect file, to ban adds and banners and censoring for kids, and it won't work with the tick in the box.
                    This never happened with dsl.

The fix i use is unpluging the power every time just before hitting the power button except when restarting.
                    The cable company blames this on faulty hardware, but it does the same thing with 3 different machines every week.
                    thanks for the reply. i checked my internet option s in IE and the box is checked. i never had this problem before on my old system using shaw high speed.
                    i flashed my bios to 2.10 the board came with version 2.20. the weird thing is, they don't list the 2.20 as a download from their site. since flashing my nic power has come on on every restart except one time. to fix this, i power off completely thru windows and then turn my power bar off for 15 seconds. once i reboot the light comes back on at the back of my pc and my connection is working.
                    is there a burn in period for new products? it seems liike the problem isn't happening anymore. correction. i just did a reboot and no internet. the light on the nic didn't come on. had to power off totally, wait, then reboot. now working. ????

Comment

Working...
                    X