No announcement yet.

Best motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently put together a PC for editing / gaming, so I might be able to help a little here (if you wanted to take the AMD route)

You'd definitely be looking at one of the new nForce2 400 boards. It depends here what you want in the way of features as to which board you get. I went with the Soltek 75-FRN2-RL board (not officially a 400 board, but close enough at the time). I chose not to use the onboard audio and got myself an Audigy 2 Platinum, so I could have the 5 1/2 drive in the front with all the connections, as well as Firewire input for DV. Some boards come with Firewire built on, but this is what I was after.

Get some good, 400Mhz matched pair ram to make the most of the nForce2 dual channel memory. You honestly don't need more than 1GB... so grab 2 x 512MB sticks and you'll be fine.

Grab a couple Serial ATA HDDs and put them in a RAID 0 config (if you can afford it, go for the Western Digital Raptor drives... VERY fast, good for editing). DVD burner is probably also a good investment.

You'd probably want to look at the ATi based video cards, as they offer better 2D image quality, which is a must for editing. What I personally did was went for an ATi Radeon 9700Pro All in Wonder, which has the TV / video input / output feature, which is very handy. Also does a good job with gaming. ;)

Depending on motherboard and video card, you might not need any PCI slots. Some mobos have 2 network ports built on, and if you got an All in Wonder video card, you wouldn't need that TV tuner card. It's up to you.

EDIT: After all that, I forgot to mention that I honestly haven't had much to do with P4 systems. Hyperthreading would be a big bonus if you were doing editing, but aside from that I wouldn't know what to suggest. A P4 system would have a bit more kick in it, but it'll also cost that little bit more as well.

Comment

Working...
    X