Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Look at the back of your hard drives (and CD drive). You should see a little piece of plastic connected to some pins with labels such as "slave," and "master." You should be good if you set one as master and one as slave.

What exactly are you booting into? I would suggest you don't even install Windows until I post more/write that guide.

Edit: 96 celcius? Did you properly apply the thermal compound and heatsink/fan (which needs power)? Sounds to me like your HSF isn't on....

Comment

I have one set to master, just as I did before.. and I plugged the master hard drive and the other 7200 RPM into the 1st IDE slot and the 5000 and the CD Drive into the second.

It doesn't actually boot into anything.. just loads up, takes about 2 minutes to recognize the IDE drives.. then boots into another screen trying to detect hard drives and it finds none, then it says Windows didn't shut down properly.. if I try last good configuration (thinking maybe it was booting a different drive) it just reboots.

In BIOS it will recognize the drives.. strange it won't during the boot. Unfortunately I have to get it running asap, it is my main computer and has all my files.. this one is just for the internet mainly.

And still worse, no idea why it is running so hot!

Comment

Hmm.. it says the system fan isn't running but the PCU fan is running at.. I think 6000 or so RPMs. Is that good or bad? I tried to install the system fan but didn't see a plug or anything for it.

Comment

There's nothing to boot into.....
              You can't boot into an old Windows installation on a new motherboard. It shouldn't even boot. Even if it did, it wouldn't work properly.
              Edit: As in the case fan? There should be regular power connecters for it...

Comment

Naw, the case fan runs (assuming you mean the 2 fans on the side panel). And I understand it isn't going to boot, but then how am I to install Windows if it won't recognize the drive? I mean when I first reformated I could just put in the CD and it would allow me to boot from CD but... ahh, I think I need to set it so that my CD drive boots before my hard drives or something to that effect? Trying to remember. Thank you for your quick replies, I'll get it soon.

Comment

Yeah, you need to go into your BIOS and set the CD drive as boot device.

Try switching around the cables on the drives. Assuming you followed my instructions and have the CD drive and slower HDD on the same channel (which you seem to), while the two 7200RPM drives are on the faster channel:
                  Swtich the two cables on the 7200RPM HDDs
                  Switch the two cables on the slow HDD and CD drive

I guess it's possible that the temperature thing on the motherboard is just wrong. Because 96 degress celcius is very hot for an idle CPU.

Comment

Yes, I set up the IDE cables/drives as you instructed. I seriously, seriously hope the BIOS is just wrong.. is that practical? The temperature being incorrect I mean. Is there anyway I tell if it is a problem with my fans or some such? I made sure I hooked everything in correctly, and the fans are running.. all 4 of them. The 2 on my case side, the heatsink and the fan on the motherboard. I want to run it and try to boot up Windows (I would rather wait for the guide but I must get back to work by tomorrow.. took off the evening to get up to speed) but I don't want to risk frying my processor as I don't have the cash for another.. :?

Comment

Go into your BIOS and have it redetect your HDDs. You can also try simply not using certain drives to tell if certain ones are the problem. One other thing to try is setting the master to "cable select" instead of "master."

I think we should be able to get the HDD thing resolved, but I'm not sure if I can think of anything for the cooling. I'm going to see if I can get a second opinion regarding the matter.

Comment

Comment

The CD is most likely (almost definitely) just drivers for the chipset, RAID, and SATA.

Even if you did apply the thermal compound incorrectly (which I doubt), I don't see how the temperature could be that high. If the HSF is on the processor and running, the temperature should be much lower than it is.

Are you absolutely positive that it is Celcius, and not Farenheit?

Comment

Sorry the fan isn't running at 6000 rpms I checked again and it is 2500rpms give or take. Got my drives fixed, just had to switch the cables.

Comment

Comment

That's the right RPM.... I guess it's possible you just didn't put it on right or something....

Either you just made some silly mistake (nothing that I can think of), or I'm missing something here. Still looking into that 2nd opinion on the cooling issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X