Motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard?

Does anyone know the highest cpu that can go in a 440ZX Motherboard. I have a intel P2 400mhz cpu in there now and I want to make a upgrade if i can. My computer is a HP Vectra Vli8. It also has 384mb of pc133 sdram on its Motherboard.

Re: Motherboard?

A lot will depend on who made the mainboard and its model number as some will only take PII's while some others will go up to PIII's (100MHz FSB only).

Comment

It was made by Hewlett Packerd, and its model number is Vectra VLi8.

Comment

Well, you can install a maximum of 512MB of PC100.

I'm not 100% positive, but from what I can gather, you can put up to a 650MHz Pentium III in that system, but you may very well need to flash the BIOS to enable support.

Comment

I got the bios. Now how do i put it on my computer? I've heard that you can destroy the motherboard if something goes wrong. Can this really happen?

Comment

I doubt you will destroy the board if you mess up the BIOS install, but you can wrech the BIOS chip itself and force a replacement of it.

To FLASH the BIOS, go to the mainboard manufacturer's website and download their utility for this purpose. Since you're looking at a HP pre-made machine, I'm not real sure how this will pan out for you, but it might be where ever you got the updated BIOS from.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

What will happen if I put a cpu in, that is to fast for the Motherboard to handel?

Comment

Depends on the processor and the voltage. If it is a newer processor of the same socket design and the voltage is a lot higher on your current mainboard than it is designed to handle, you'll fry it. If it can handle the voltage but the mainboard cannot support its clock speed and multiplier, it will just fail to POST.
                My Toys

Comment

I run a P2 266mhz 66fsb on my computer with 256mb of sdram. In the Bios setup it says that I can go up to 75fsb or 83fsb on my motherboard. What will happen to my computer if I raise the cpu's fsb to these numbers? Will it run faster or slower? Will my computer burn up from overheating. I think this is called overclocking.

Comment

This is a pretty old guide, but then you have a pretty old system. Try checking it out and it should give you a little insight to overclocking your older model Intel processor.
                    My Toys

Comment

Working...
                    X