Slow Start up to no start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Start up to no start up

Can anyone help with this one, My computer has been crashing whenever I go online and sometimes when I try to use graphic programs off line.
    I've replaced the hard drive and loaded windows 98 and then I upgraded to windows 2000 pro on the drive.
    First I noticed that everything was loading very,very slow
    It took windows 2000 over 3 hours to load.
    Now when I try to start up windows I get to the black screen with the bars and then the bars show that it's loading and takes me to the windows start up screen but at the bottow of the screen the blue bar never shows and the screen keeps acting like it's trying to load up windows.
    Do you think the problem is with the processor, memory, HD or something that I've done incorrectly.
    I've built several computers and this is a 4 year old machine that started having these problems.

thanks in advance

NYMIDIDUDE

Re: Slow Start up to no start up

Try a complete reformat instead of an upgrade. Whenever you get a new OS it is best to reformat rather then upgrade. Just back up the data you need if any

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply
      I first tryed to install windows 2000 with total new install thats when I discovered that it was install files to the drive in a really slow mode.
      Several times the computer just crashed. I then got the idea to install windows 98 and then upgrade. I've never seen anything like this before, should I reformat the drive and try the install again?
      NYMIDIDUDE

Comment

Have you even installed drivers? Using the default Windows drivers is rarely a good idea. Make sure you upgrade your chipset drivers, followed by your video card drivers, followed by any other drivers.

That said, it usually is best to reformat when installing a new version of Windows.

Comment

did a total reformat and install which is still trying to install after 15 hours, whatcha think? memory,processor etc...

Comment

hey dude, thanks for the reply
            yes, I can use OME drivers but check this out the program has been installing on the #$#$%^$ computer since last night around 9:00 PM amd it's now been over 15 hours since it started. It's went thru all the install points and as it does it says that something is going to take 30 mins but it's taking 3 hours
            Any idea whats going on?
            Help a Bro out

Comment

Have you download diagnostic software from the hard drive's manufacturer's website and tested the hard drive with it?

Comment

Hey Guys, my problem was that I disabled the computers casch to test memory and forgot to reset it before I installed windows.
                And I also found out that the orig. problem was bad ram which tested ok in the memory check.
                Thanks for all you guys help
                NYMIDIDUDE

Comment

Working...
                X