Low budget up grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low budget up grade

ok, i have $200(usd), can var maby $15, i have a noname mobo p4 478, with a 1.7 ghz p4, i have a Radeon 9600pro vid card.

I wann upgrade my mobo and proc. Any sugestuns?

Re: Low budget up grade

That's about the only good option for that budget.

Comment

is it good multi-media quality?, i have tv in and a santa cruise 5.1 sound pci addins?, i was looking for a little bit more of a spreed boost. I wanted to know also if it is worth it to upgrade my vid to pci-e as well, my max spending is 400, i need to gear up for colledge and not spend my entire budget on a new machine.
      Last edited by jimsmithkka; 04-25-2005, 08:44 AM.

Comment

If it's $400 that changes things.
        Grab one of these and these. From there, you could probably still afford a cheaper or even refurbished PCI-E 6600GT, which is a decent upgrade from a 9600, though I'd have to ask what your current PSU is. If insufficient, you may have to upgrade to a new one. At the very least, you'd probably want a 20- to 24-pin power converter for it. A PSU such as this ought to be sufficient for that system, though I generally recommend 480W just to be safe.

This is all good stuff multimedia-wise, though for better sound quality, if your an audiophile, you'd want a 24-bit Creative Labs Audigy card as opposed to he onboard sound, which does support surround sound, but won't have as high of quality as an Audigy PCI card.
        Last edited by Yawgm0th; 04-26-2005, 11:15 PM.

Comment

i was hoping to geet alittle more of a clock boost, or is that not important right now?, i already have a 1.8, and don't i need a pci-e board for a pci-e card?, i am just worried about future upgrades from this, i don't want to rebuild my system from scratch a second time to update on thing (cpu speed)

Comment

The items that Yawg recommended are all future proof. The motherboard is an AMD Socket 939 type and will be around for a while. The processor, while "only" running at 1.8GHz will literally smoke the one you have. As for the PCI-E, check the stats on the motherboard... it too is PCI-E, which is going to be the industry standard before long (replacing AGP) so again, you'll be pretty much setting yourself up for future upgrades.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
              The processor, while "only" running at 1.8GHz will literally smoke the one you have.
              Athlon 64s are really powerful, but I don't think they have lungs nor the ability to combust anything other than themselves and the motherboards, so literally smoking something ought to be impossible. :P

But it will figuratively beat the crap out of a 1.8Ghz P4. It'll beat the crap out of a 3.6GHz in some applications. Intel has yet to release a processor that can outperform any desktop Athlon 64 in Doom 3, for example.

More realistically, you could say it has overall performance comparable to a 3Ghz Pentium 4. Some applications it will be more like a 2.8GHz or even a little less, and in some it will outperform 3.2 and 3.4GHz P4s. Don't think of processor speed in terms of clock frequency.

Comment

i think my psu will due, it hase the 4 pin p4 part, in a revew on hte board that was said to work, is it a good idea? And does the 64 work well with windows?
                Last edited by jimsmithkka; 04-28-2005, 08:36 AM.

Comment

At least get a converter for it. The 4-pin power connector does not replace the 4 pins on the ATX power connector.

Athlon 64s work fine with Windows. Actually, they work great...

Comment

where could i get a cheap pcie vid card, or will an agp still work? idoubt it but that refurb card you showed me was an agp. thanks for all the help

Comment

I didn't mean to post an AGP card... Just didn't check. If a 6600GT is too much money, a 6600 will do. It's not really much of an upgrade from a 9600, though, so I'd suggest you dish out a little more for this or another 6600GT.

Comment

what about the x#00s from ati? i prefer there card becausei know their software better

Comment

Their cards are inferior; the software shouldn't matter, though I do prefer the Catalysts over nVidia's driver. I would rarely consider ATI for anything above $100 U.S., unless a country where ATI has a huge advantage over nVidia is what the situation involves.

Comment

my tv-in card is an ati tv wonder and i don't know if it will work well with the nvidia video card, i haven't ever used a nvidia with my machine so i have no idea

Comment

It should work fine, though I can't say that from experience. But it really should be irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                              X