Looking for good Amd board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good Amd board

I'm looking to possibly purchasing a new motherboard. I've narrowed down 3 on newegg. but basically a motherboard i'm looking for can support:

athlon xp 2800+ & also have the mounting holes around the socket for larger heatsinks.
    sata hard drive
    atleast 1 pata (for LS120 & cdburner/dvd drive)
    dual channel ddr 400
    atleast 4 usb (doesn't matter where they are located)

onboard lan: i don't have a lan card but could purchase one as well just as easily.

prefferably not having a chipset from sis or via
    looking more for nvidia chipset

...and whetever else seems good to you.

links to newegg mobo's
    ABIT/EPOX/Chaintech are the 3 i'm looking at.

Re: Looking for good Amd board

Do you want to overclock?

Also, you'll have a hard time finding a motherboard without onboard LAN, so don't worry about that.

Comment

I probably wont be overclocking, But i'd like to keep the option open for later.
      Last edited by GBRRICCI; 10-08-2005, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I must have missed this post. Your other thread brought my attention to it. It has been removed, as well. We'll continue with this one.

I'd say get the cheapest nForce 2 Ultra 400 board you can find from a decent company. With socket A boards, you'll want to avoid a few brands in particular: Biostar, PC Chips, and DFI, off the top of my head. A few good brands would be ASUS, ABIT, and Gigabyte.
        Last edited by Yawgm0th; 10-09-2005, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Heh yeah i wondered if i orifinally posted in the wrong section. But currently i own a gigabyte board and like it but heatsinks are becoming limited or atleast no new development to socket A's are being made except for boards that have the holes around the socket. Which is why i'm looking for a new one. the board i have now doesn't have some features i originally looked for like dual channel ddr and such but yup heh a friend of mine will be very happy to recieve it once i purchase another mobo, which i'm ultimately looking at the Chaintech, however it is a nforce 2 ultra 400 for $50. i didn't see a nforce 4 board on newegg that would work for me.

Comment

Force of habit. I meant nForce 2, not nForce 4. NForce 4 is for Athlon 64 systems with PCI Express, not socket A systems. Chaintech is a pretty reliable brand and I see no reason not to go for it.

Comment

Ah that would explain why i only saw those hehe. Thank you though Yawgm0th, I will most likely be purchasing that at a later date unless a greater motherboard comes out....or i decide to go with intel.

Comment

try a kx400 albatron motherboard

Comment

Working...
                X