Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the best overclocking mb for amd 64 X2 3200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the best overclocking mb for amd 64 X2 3200?

Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade to amd 64 next year. what mb should i buy for overclocking?

i dont know anything bout amd 64 mb so please enlighten me
    current amdcathlon only support PC3200 ddr rite?

thks

Re: the best overclocking mb for amd 64 X2 3200?

also the difference between socket 939 and 935? i can use both mb for amd 64 rite?

Thks

Comment

A socket 939 DFI motherboard utilizing the nVidia nForce 4 Ultra chipset would be best.

There's no socket 935. There are sockets 940, 939, and 754 for AMD64 processors. Socket 940 is for Opterons and early Athlon 64 FXs; socket 939 is for the current mainstream Athlon 64s; socket 754 is for low-end and mid-range Athlon 64s. Socket 939 will last the longest, however all three sockets will be replaced within a year.

Athlon 64s do indeed only support DDR400 officially, however there's nothing stoping you from running DDR600. DDR2 will be used in the next generation of Athlon 64s in the new sockets that are coming out.

Comment

DFI LanParty motherboards are very good for overclocking. Not only do they have an excellent set of options in the BIOS, they have voltage settings that are second to none.

As to "supporting" PC3200, yes that is correct, but you can often run the memory considerably higher.

There is no Socket 935 that I have heard of. Socket 939 and Socket 754 are the two versions out now that support the Athlon64 processors, with Socket 939 being far superior.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

ok thks, so what is the best 939 mb? should i get SLI or not? I got ATI 9800 Pro. Can I buy another card in the future and use it with my current card to get SLI?

I am planning to buy the system on january 2006. by that time will the new athlon 64s support higher speed memory??

Thks

Comment

Originally posted by ossanboy
            ok thks, so what is the best 939 mb?
            This question has been answered twice now. However, the answer may now be different, as you will see below.
            should i get SLI or not? I got ATI 9800 Pro. Can I buy another card in the future and use it with my current card to get SLI?
            No and no. The Radeon 9800 Pro is an AGP card and won't work on a PCI Express system. In order to continue using your 9800 Pro, you can either get an nForce 3 Ultra motherboard or get a ULi M1695 motherboard (there's currently only one: the ASRock 939Dual). The latter option is the better one, though a DFI nForce 3 Ultra board will be a little better for overclocking.

I am planning to buy the system on january 2006. by that time will the new athlon 64s support higher speed memory??
            What new Athlon 64s? They aren't new by any standards. Regardless, they won't support DDR2 nor will they officially support higher DDR speeds, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from running RAM at much higher speeds. The quality of the motherboard and of the RAM are the only things that matter in that area.

Comment

SLI works with PCI-Express graphics boards, not PCI. There is a huge difference. There are no AGP SLI boards to my knowledge available. And no, you cannot use 2 AGP boards since again, there aren't motherboards to support 2 AGP ports.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

okay thks, so if i cant use AGP for SLI, should i get a SLI mb? My current ATI 9800 pro is a good graphic card, i dont think i want to upgrade just to get SLI. SLI advantage is usually for gaming rite?

if a non SLI mb is better for me, what is the best 939 non SLI mb?

Thanksssssssss

Comment

SLI is only for top-of-the-line systems, using whatever the two most powerful graphics cards may be at a certain time. You really don't need it and will probably never use it.

If you're getting a board with AGP, the only one I'm willing to recommend at this point is the ASRock 939 Dual, which supports both AGP and PCI-E.

Comment

Working...
                  X