Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new board old hard drive

Re: new board old hard drive

Yes you can install the old hard drive on the new system, but no it won't be painless. Even WinXP ans Vista, which is a vast improvement over the Win9x platforms, will need motherboard drivers for the chipset, network adapter, sound and associated peripherals. While some folks have had a limited amount of luck by just installing these over the existing ones, you are always better off when you reformat and install a fresh operating system to the drive when you change out motherboards.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

So backup my files. Turn the power off. Ground myself, remove the old board. Install the new. Turn the power on. Where do I go to reformat? Thank you.

Comment

Please don't take offense, but if you do not know this then I would recommend having someone with you when you do this so that you have some ready knowledge if you need it.

As for reformatting, as long as you're using at least WinXP (I don't recall offhand if Win98 or WinME allow this), you will be given the option of formatting the hard drive when you insert the CD-ROM disk in the drive and power the machine up. From there you will need to reinstall Windows. Before you start, make sure that you have at the very least the network drivers so you can get online and update any remaining drivers you need to after the install is complete. I generally have all my new drivers on a thumb drive before I start, but not everyone does so there are options on how you go... but you will need those network drivers onhand to connect to the Internet to update any you don't have handy.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Thanks, no offense. I grew up when calculus, trig and physics were the big challenge. Anyone could build an RC airplane. Go online and type in "computer build DVD" you should get a million hits but you won't. I want to learn how to build, and I know it takes years of experience, but that is the challenge. I live in the back country. There aren't any computer techs here. And there are no books on building. When I do learn this trade, and pass it on, I will mean it when I say there are no dumb questions. No offense.

Comment

do you have 2 computers - its handy to be able to get online to ask questions when something goes wrong.

ok what OS is on your system.

it is possible to transplant a motherboard without it BSOD(blue screen of death) ing, but its hard to do, unreliable and your are better off doing a reinstall.

let us know what os your planning on using - we can give more specific advice
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Working...
            X