Overheating NB on an Asus stiker II formular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overheating NB on an Asus stiker II formular

lol - I decided NOT to liquid cool - just too scared to do it..

Instead I have modded my Cosmos 1000 case:

So the side panel that opens up to the PC has 2 of the 4,000 RPM Delta fans on it, to blow 190CFM (each) onto the GPU's, North and South Bridge. It also has 2 of my Sharktoon Silent Eagle Golf ball fans (76CFM each) on it, just to get extra air into the non essential part of the PC.

I have 1 more Delta fan pulling air out of the case, which has my Corsair Hydro H50 radiator screwed onto it, above my Mosefets? (The two Heatstacks located next to the CPU) along with 1 Sharktoon pulling air out above the RAM and another on the rear for the exhaust.

Lastly, I have one more Sharktoon in the base, pulling air in.

I think that should be enough to keep this PC cool now?

Oh yes, I also ordered some Acticlean and Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste - which I will use to replace the stock paste stuff on the Hydro!
    Last edited by Ragdollcatman; 11-28-2009, 08:36 AM.
    i7 3770k (1.6-4.2 GHz) / Hydro H100i / Asus P8Z77-V Premium / 16GB DDR3 2400 Team Group Xtreem Frostbite CL10 RAM / XFX 7990 / 250GB Sansung 840 Evo / 2 x 3TB Seagates in RAID-1 / 1TB Seagate for storage / Corsair HX750 / HAF932 / BenQ XL2411T monitor / CM Storm Trigger brown keyboard & Storm Recon mouse
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Despite having a GNVQ Intermediate and an AVCE Advanced in IT and ICT, I consider myself a noob with computers now as they are more advanced than I can deal with

Comment

It is expensive, but not scary! If you have the extra $$ for sure go for it, just don't buy a "kit"

Comment

Here are the pictures for what I've done - I know this modification is crude, but it should hopefully do the job.

i7 3770k (1.6-4.2 GHz) / Hydro H100i / Asus P8Z77-V Premium / 16GB DDR3 2400 Team Group Xtreem Frostbite CL10 RAM / XFX 7990 / 250GB Sansung 840 Evo / 2 x 3TB Seagates in RAID-1 / 1TB Seagate for storage / Corsair HX750 / HAF932 / BenQ XL2411T monitor / CM Storm Trigger brown keyboard & Storm Recon mouse
        Despite having a GNVQ Intermediate and an AVCE Advanced in IT and ICT, I consider myself a noob with computers now as they are more advanced than I can deal with

Comment

Looks like that should keep it plenty cool right?

You could add one more, 40-60MM Fan directly to the NB, you thought about that? Have you redone the paste on the NB? If not this well help NB temps quit a bit normally.

Comment

I don't know how to actually add a 40-60mm fan to the North Bridge - I know they come with tape, but how do I stick it down or whatever when the design of the pin fin heatsink isn't flat but curved?

And no, I haven't changed the thermal paste on the motherboard, because I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that thick grey tape under the 2 Heatsinks round the CPU chip area. Do I chuck those away and replace with thermal paste? If so, what do I use to get the heatsinks to meet the little block shaped chips underneath?

I'm just waiting for Scan Computers to get a Q9550S back in stock so they can send me my order.

Is there anything I can attach to those two heatsinks round the CPU area to help cool them down? I don't have any of the clip on blower fans that Asus supply with the mobos and Asus won't send me any, saying it is down to the retailer, who have told me they can't do anything either.

Oh yes, I'm also waiting for some Arcticlean and Arctic Silver Ceramique to come. Mind you, would Servisol Thermal Paste not do an adequate job? Its temperature range is -50 C to + 200 C and its non conductive.
            Last edited by Ragdollcatman; 11-29-2009, 07:00 AM.

Comment

You could either screw it onto the heatsink, sometimes if you find the right screw it will just fit right between the fins.

Or you could super glue or hot glue it on there, or even use paper clips or zip ties.

Just get creative, you will find a way for sure!

For the mosfet's, which is around the CPU, just leave that tape on there. If it comes off as you remove the heatsink assembly, just place the pads back over all the mosfet chips to be sure they are all covered, before you place the full heatsink back on.

Same applies to the SB if it is connected, if not you can leave it as it rarely gets hot. Then just redo the past on the northbridge, use non conductive paste and be careful when you put the heatsink back on as that is a naked chip. I am not sure of the brand you mention, I would use something good such as TX-2 or MX-2 for the NB. Actually I would use it for the NB and CPU myself, this is what I use TX-2, much better than Arctic Silver and is non conductive.

Well you could buy one of those fans you mentioned for them on ebay, or you could just buy a "Antec Spot Cool". Or mount a 80mm fan to the part of your case just above the board pointing downward onto them.

Comment

Yeah.. Cool.. The Arctic Silver Ceramique looks pretty good.. Its a strong paste, had a look at it today.

I have an Antec Spot Cool, which aren't overly effective imho.

I will wait for my CPU chip to come, which it will have to do eventually.

Once I have a PSU as well I can run a soaptest, and see what my temperatures are.

If it cools it down to a level I'm happy with, I'll leave the mobo alone - especially if it is working.

I'll then just concentrate on clearing my credit cards so that, in a years time, I can blow a decent amount of money on a really impressive PC and recycle parts by letting the old man have them.

Comment

It's fairly thick and OLD, I would actually advise TX-2 or MX-2 for your NB

Comment

Working...
                  X