Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte P55-UD4P or Asus P7P55D for Overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte P55-UD4P or Asus P7P55D for Overclocking?

Hey

Im gonna buy a new i5 system soon, and i havnt decided on a motherboard yet.

my two options are these boards, i dont really care for features or slots etc because they are both good for my needs, my only concern is overclocking ability..

i dont plan to go nuts but im with air cooling and want to get to atleast 3.8Ghz (4Ghz will be awesome, i dont need more then that)

will these boards capable of doing so?
    which one will be more stable and more cool of these two?

Thanks

Re: Gigabyte P55-UD4P or Asus P7P55D for Overclocking?

I suggest the Gigabyte board, but my thoughts may likely skewed in your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      I suggest the Gigabyte board, but my thoughts may likely skewed in your opinion
      i also like the gigabyte myself, thing is the asus is like 30$ less (im my country)

Comment

Ahh well there is likely a reason for that. Honestly I have never looked at the Asus, but for obvious reasons due to me being connected with Gigabyte.

Do they both offer the same spec's that you require? If so then it may come down to looks and price is all, but I do think the Gigabyte will overclock better for you and be cooler as well.

Comment

Another thing with Gigabyte is flashing the BIOS is EASY. It is one of the reasons I have purchased about 7-8 gigabyte boards.

It's important to be able to update the BIOS easily. With "some" companies you have to download programs, use floppies, CDs, etc.....

Gigabyte is a solid board. I have the P55-UD4P and to be honest, it had some issues but the fine moderator here has been a good help and most of the issues are solved with updates.

Get the Gigabyte.
          P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
          880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
          2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Comment

Sorry but I'll go the other with ASUS.

I build & repair pc's for a living & Gigabyte is one of the last I'd think about using (plus the most cantankerous that I know of to get working properly).

Comment

System builder here too, and most client builds are Gigabyte, mostly due to cost effectiveness.

Personal system that's updated usually twice a year, is ASUS only. I like the BIOS layout better, and they have usually have better OC results clock for clock. As far as updating the BIOS, seriously, most the manufacturers offer multiple easy ways to do it, not just Gigabyte...

Comment

Gigabyte, ASUS, ASROCK, DFI or the more expensive eVGA MB.
                Last edited by pdxer; 09-24-2009, 09:24 PM.
                Antec 300, E8400/CO-6 4.05GHz CPUID 1.344/BIOSvcore1.3750 VTT1.320 CPURefv0.835/0.76 PLL1.57 Cooled by~
                DD-CPX-Pro
                12V Pump, 3/8"ID-1/2"OD tube, Dual bay reservoir,
                86 Camaro Heatercore, x2 140mm push/pull, MPC-CPU Quad core WB. Hot Day 35c/58c IBT
                KHX8500D2K2/4G 2x2GB HyperX 1080MHz/CAS5-5-5-5-15-tRD9-tRFC54-tWTR13-tRRD3-tRD_WD9-tRTP7-tREF4213-CR2T DRAMv2.2V DRAMRefv1.1 -Getting tighter!
                GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 F12 MCH1.3 MCHRefv0.835 I/O ICHcore - eVGA GTX275 @ 691/1512/1224
                Games, Media, Programs - WD5001AALS, System - WD500AAKS, Corsair TX650

Comment

Originally posted by Porksmuggler View Post
                  System builder here too, and most client builds are Gigabyte, mostly due to cost effectiveness.

Personal system that's updated usually twice a year, is ASUS only. I like the BIOS layout better, and they have usually have better OC results clock for clock. As far as updating the BIOS, seriously, most the manufacturers offer multiple easy ways to do it, not just Gigabyte...
                  You are right. One of the main reasons I keep buying Gigabyte is because that's what I'm familiar with. I really looked hard this last time. I just build a personal P55 system.

I almost went with MSI this time. Asus was right up there too, but when it came time to buy.....I went with what I was familiar with. I don't have any regrets but MSI and Asus (and others) make fine boards.

I overclock my personal system every weekend and change it back during the week so I am becoming very familiar with the BIOS in Gigabyte's boards.

Staying with the thread....The UD4P OCs better than I expected and with the dual BIOS....you're good to go. I would go Gigabyte.
                  P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
                  880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
                  2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Comment

I just built a P55 rig last weekend. I went looking for the Giga UD6 board but was not available at Micro Center. They did have the UD4P and the ASUS board but I decided on the EVGA P55 board because I can use my 775 HS on it. I have a TRUE and a couple of 775 water blocks. I wanted to make use of what I already had and this helped save a little money. The UD3P and the EP45 DQ6 turned me into a Gigabyte fan, I was able to achieve my best results overclocking my q9550 and q9650 on those 2 boards.
                    Given the 2 choices in this thread I would have to go with the Gigabyte board. I've had no issues with the ones I have owned.
                    MSI X58 XPower
                    i7-950
                    Mushkin Radioactive 1600 c6 @1000mhz 6 9 6 24

XSPC rx360, mcp655, apogee XT, ek multioption res150, scythe 133cfm's
                    HD5870
                    Corsair AX1200

Comment

+ 1 for gigabyte. You will get exellent support here @ tweaktown for that board. ASUS support leaves a lot to be desired. $30, Pft. Save a little longer and go with a winner.
                      Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
                      Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
                      Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
                      Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                      Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                      G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
                      2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
                      Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
                      2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
                      Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
                      Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
                      Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
                      ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
                      Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
                      Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                      Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
                      NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
                      1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
                      Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
                      Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by NimrodAUS View Post
                        + 1 for gigabyte. You will get exellent support here @ tweaktown for that board. ASUS support leaves a lot to be desired. $30, Pft. Save a little longer and go with a winner.

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          +1
                          +1

I have the Gigabyte P55-UD5.
                          Awesome board!

Comment

Working...
                          X