SDRAM Memory Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDRAM Memory Question

Best Buy is a Computer,Electronics,Music,Appliance,etc. superstore here in the midwest of America. Right now they have a pretty good deal going on SDRAM. Right now 128 MB of PC100 SDRAM is only $14.99 after the rebate, which sounds like a very good deal to me.

So, I want to upgrade the two PC100 boxes I have laying around. Currently they both have 64MB of RAM each. I looked up the specs of each, they are Biostar M6 series. Here are the online manuals for each:

The M6TBA, I have a 450MHz PIII on this one:

The M6TLC, I have a 300Mhz PII on this one:
    ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/PDF_Manuals/M6TLC/m6tlc.pdf

(I don't know why Biostar has one manual as HTML and one as a PDF document)

According to the chart provided in one of these manuals I cannot use the 128MB stick in conjunction with the 64MB sticks. It also appears that I can only use a 128 MB stick either alone or three at a time. Is the chart for the M6TBA correct or does it simply not list a 256MB option using 2 sticks of 128MB?

I don't know too much about DIMM memory, so bear with my relative ignorance on this topic. Do you guys think I should just throw 384MB in each box since it'd only run me $45 a machine or should I just buy one stick and have 128MB in each?

Any advice would help, thanks.

Those are very unusual recommendations, but then that's Biostar for ya. Oh and what os's do ya use on these PC's? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I run 98 Second Edition on both, but I want to try to put XP on the 450Mhz. My parents use it, so I want it to be easier for them to use.

Comment

By unusual recommendations, do you mean that I could use a 128MB stick and a 64MB stick in conjunction on each box, cause I'd like to do that if possible.

Comment

Yes that's what I mean as I done and seen plenty of mixed setups. ;)
          Also with any Win9x os I wouldn't put more than 256MB's in. :smokin:

Comment

Thanks Wiggo. That chart kinda confused me cause I thought the only rule with ram was the largest stick goes into the first slot. If that holds true here than I won't need to be scared of SDRAM.

Comment

My first advice to you is to read the fine print. Sometimes (most times in my experience) BB only allows one rebate per household, so you may end up paying full price for the other 2 sticks. And paying full price for BB ram, is probably not sound economics. :laugh: :snip:
              Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Well, the only stipulation in the Ad is on the mail-in rebate, and the bulk of the rebate is instant, a rariety for Best Buy. You can check out the Ad here: http://64.14.232.164/BestBuyInserts/...0728_31AP3.PDF

I think I will bring some friends with all the same.

Comment

Yeah it does stipulate one rebate per customer so ya better line some friends up. ;)

Comment

Yeah, but that's only in regard to the mail-in rebate.

Comment

i just got two sticks of pc133 kingston ram 256mb for 20 a stick it was with a rebate but if you can get to a office max soon(you have one of them right) that is a good deal they also have a free can of air after rebate. well i hope you hae them in your area o get a stick or two

Comment

I bought the ram and I am currently using a 128MB stick in conjunction with a 64MB stick, so I don't know what the manual was trying to say with that graph that didn't include that as an option. Very odd. You guys encounter things like this ever?

Comment

No that was the first time I've seen someone specify the use and types of different memory modules like that. :smokin:

Comment

Working...
                          X