GA-7VRXP Ver2 w/ Volcano 7+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-7VRXP Ver2 w/ Volcano 7+

Has anyone tried this combo? We've now RMA'd 2 GA-7VRXP boards that will NOT boot (thye power off after 2-3 seconds with no post), and we're wondring if the problem is with this cooler.

The board's cpu-fan connector is a 3 pin power header and the connector for the Volcano 7+ is a single lead connector - fan speed indicator only. The Volcano takes power directly off the PS, not the MB.

IOW, could the MB be powering itself down because it thinks there is no cpu fan connected, since there is no current draw?

I don't think that's your prob as I use the same setup in my No.2 PC and had no probs at all. The only thing I can think of not knowing your full PC specs is that the PSU may not be up to the power requirement. Do you have the PC speaker connected and if so does it give any beeps before shut down? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The PS is fine. It's a new Antec 430W, and the fans all spin up, including the Volcano. We've checked, and re-checked the switch connectors (there is some confusion there between what Antec says to do, and what the gigabyte manual says to do).

The standoffs are good, and there is no visible short. We stripped it back down to just a single RAM chip (Corsair 2700X512 Cas2) the ATI 8500 AGP, and a single HD. No beeps, no post, no BIOS, nada. Just a 2-3 second spin up and then it turns itself off.

If it has a problem with the periphs, we wouldn't be able to tell 'cause it doesn't get far enough along to do anything. At this point, we're going to try swapping out the CPU (AMD 2200) and see if that is the problem.

If you have any other thoughts, feel free to speak up. We're kind grasping at straws at this point. At least with your proven experience, we know it isn't the Volcano. :mad:

Comment

I had the same problem when I received my Epox 8k3a, with Volcano 7+, AMD XP 2000+, Corsair 2700 512 MB RAM, GF4 4200Ti

I would love to know which component is causing the problem!!
        Got the new Epox board and all started up fine, well it works I mean :) hehe still gotta work out the Epox kinks :)

Comment

I had same problem when I first built mine; took everything apart, put it back together and everything's been fine since. All i can figure is maybe mb/pa connector wasn't seated good. been running great for a month now with no problems.

ga7-vrxp/xp2200+
          antec 350w ps
          512 samsung (2700)
          visiontek gf4 ti4200
          buslink 40x rw

Comment

Just for everyone's benefit who might read this in the future, after replacing the CPU and the MB the whole system now works just fine. Fast, dependable, and not a single burp for almost 2 weeks, 24x7. FWIW, I haven't seen a CPU or system temp higher than 46 degrees, even under heavy Photoshop filtering, all with stock fans.

The system is being used both as a home computer and Photoshop workstation. I've left the BIOS and hardware settings almost (not entirely) stock for stability. The final config is:

Antec 880 (430w Antec PS)
            Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
            AMD 2200 XP
            1.5GB of Corsair 2700Cas2 RAM (3x512)
            Volcano 7+ Cooler
            120GB WD, SE
            80GB, WD, SE (used as Scratch disk for Photoshop and backup)
            ATI Radeon 8500 - 128mb
            Liteon 332x12x40 CD-R/RW
            Pioneer DVD
            Mitusmi floppy
            Coolermaster round IDE cables
            No RAID - rather, all devices on their own separate IDE channels
            Windows XP Home (Retail)
            Windows Office SBE (OEM)
            Price: $1990 (US)

:cool:

Comment

It's good to hear that ya have it workin' well. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by admedic
                I had the same problem when I received my Epox 8k3a, with Volcano 7+, AMD XP 2000+, Corsair 2700 512 MB RAM, GF4 4200Ti

I would love to know which component is causing the problem!!
                Got the new Epox board and all started up fine, well it works I mean :) hehe still gotta work out the Epox kinks :)
                As would i. Same thing happened to me with an Abit KR7A & Volcano 7.

Comment

Working...
                X