Head first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head first

I am doing my first build this weekend, got a i5 750 and gigabyte P55 UD3 1156. From what I've read, it should be a smooth build as long as nothing is defective. Some of the complaints do make me nervous though. I am using XP, does anybody think this is a bad idea? Should I go to Windows 7?

Re: Head first

My opinion is a new build deserves new OS. But these days not everyone has the extra $$$$.

Comment

What complaints have you heard? Maybe we can confirm or debunk them.

Running XP isn't a bad thing. It's a tried and true OS that is rock solid and due to be support by Microsoft for another 4 years if I recall correctly.

The only major problem with XP is that if you are putting a DX10 or DX11 capable card into your new rig you will be handcuffed into using DX9 since XP will not be getting any support for the newer versions. It translates into less eye candy but nobody wants to play games on anything less than the best. Otherwise I'd stick to playing pong.

When my gear comes in for my i3 budget build I'm going with Windows 7 Home Premium for that very reason, plus I have been running Vista since it was released. I have gone through the bad times during the initial launch and the good times when SP2 was released. It's just time for a change.
      Last edited by Optix; 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM.
      Slave to technology.

Comment

I think you will be fine, as long as you did your research and picked out a set of known compatible memory.

Comment

Working...
        X