FSB won't run at 133 mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSB won't run at 133 mhz

Last Christmas I got my comp... and I never really fixed this problem (worked on it for a while and just gave up) The problem is that my Athlon XP 1800+ will only be recognized as an Athlon XP and only run at 1.14 Ghz as opposed to 1.33. It doesn't sound like much but the extra .2 ghz probably costed me 75-100$.

The reason why it does this is that the mobo is only running at 100 mhz FSB. When I set the FSB to 133 mhz the computer properly recognizes the processor but it won't boot so that doesnt do much good. When I start up with the 133 mhz I get a stop error saying that a system file is corrupt (the first time it was ntfs.sys but it changes). I've reformatted the system recently and the problem still occurs. If you need the specs for my mobo I can't get it to you until tomarrow, sry (I know its supposed to run 133 mhz system bus and is compatible with Athlon XP, and I've also updated the bios) Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

And my other question is if I settle with the slower FSB (and hence a slower processor) will the slower FSB really slow down the overall performance. I don't know how much the FSB speed contributes to performance so I really don't know. Thanks alot

The mobo is FIC AD11 (the Athlon XP one).

Although it says 266 FSB I can assure you that it only runs at 100 or 133 mhz. Also, I looked for the clock multiplier again in Bios and couldn't find it. The closest one to that is "CPU Host/PCI Clock" (this setting was under the Frequency/Voltage Control category) the options for this setting are:

Default (currently checked)
    100/33 MHz
    120/30 MHz
    133/33 MHz

Two days ago I checked the 133 MHz assuming that was the FSB speed. Then the monitor wouldn't respond and my comp wouldnt post so I changed the jumper on the mobo to 133 MHz. The monitor then responded and it posted but it wouldn't boot (that is where I got the error messages) but I could go into Bios and change the setting back to default and then I changed the mobo jumper to 100 mhz and my comp was back to normal (but still at the slower speed).

If I do end up buying another mobo and Athlon XP mobo's to recommend??
    Thanks

I have a new Epox 8KHA+ and AMD XP 1800+ and have the exact same issue. I've been thinking it is a motherboard issue but now hearing this issue on another mb I'm thinking maybe its a processor issue.

Comment

really :eek: i was sure it was the mobo... so u have the exact same problem? what is the comp recognizing ur processor at?

Comment

Here is the thread I started.

I'm calling Epox right now to see if they have any ideas on this issue. Will keep you posted.

Comment

thats exactly the problem that I have... I was thinking about buying a new mobo but now i don't know.

Comment

I have the same problem with my K7S5A, so i got a Soltek and still having probs, think it might be the cpu, coz i alsdo replaced the RAM and that didn't fix it either:cry:

Comment

Epox tech told me to run the motherboard outside of the case on a non-conductive surface, like the box it come in, with only the RAM, video card, and processor attached. No PCI cards plugged in. He said it sounded like there could be a short somewhere.

So, I took the motherboard out, did as he said. It booted into Windows! And then about 30 seconds later it rebooted itself and booted to the same file error as before. :eek:

Comment

hmmm has anyone contacted Intel about this

Comment

Fortunately, I have another computer to use for the next week or two. I called AMD and will be sending in the processor for testing. If nothing is wrong with the processor then I know its the MB and have already received a RMA number for a replacement. If its the processor AMD will send a replacement.

Comment

well i don't have a good enough computer to run in the meantime so please tell me when u hear back from AMD, email me or somethin.

Comment

Perseus and SegiY, what PSU do you have? I have the Antec 350w. Did you use thermal grease or the retail tape that is on the HSF? I'm using the retail tape, sorry I don't know the correct name for this, but have bought Arctic Silver 3 and will be trying this before sending it in. Don't know if it will make a diff but at least its something else to try and I'll be able to reseat the processor too and maybe that will help. I'm seeing people with this problem on lots of different sites, just earch google. The only common is the AMD XP processor.

[Edit: Scratch that. I just found out that the thermal grease will void my warranty.]

Comment

I use Enermax 300W... hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by perseus
                          I use Enermax 300W... hope that helps
                          Leave your computer off for like 5-10 mins so that is cooled off. Then change the jumper to 133 and boot it up, see if it goes into Windows. If so, see if it reboots itself after a min or two. That is what mine does.

Comment

I'm using a codgen 450W dual fant PSU, it should hold the load, all the readings are good.
                            I can run for a while on 133fsb, but it eventualy crashes, especaly on things like 3Dmark2001se

Comment

Originally posted by perseus
                              Although it says 266 FSB I can assure you that it only runs at 100 or 133 mhz. Also, I looked for the clock multiplier again in Bios and couldn't find it.
                              The FSB is 133. The 266 is your RAM. DDR 266 supports bandwith up to 2.1GB per second, PC2100 RAM. DDR 333 supports bandwitch up to 2.7GB/second, PC2700 RAM.

You can't adjust your multipler in bios, you have to unlock your CPU. We have no need to worry with this though cause we can't even get it to run at 133, no need to try going higher. :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                              X