Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with the MSI 890FXA-GD70

Re: Playing with the MSI 890FXA-GD70

Awww, don't leave me hanging! No feedback? A little drool?

Comment

Originally posted by sywofp View Post
      Awww, don't leave me hanging! No feedback? A little drool?
      Ok, feedback...

Nicely written review, good spelling and grammar (a pet hate of mine!), technically accurate and some nice pics too. For next time, cover all the board/package/BIOS/tech features at the start of the article and then move on to your personal observations re. build quality/layout, stock performance, OC performance, and include a final overall impression of the product for the lazy TL;DR crew .

In return for the feedback, answer me these questions three... I'm considering buying one of these for a new build with a black/blue theme (see sig), but I came across a thread at overclock.net (plus a couple on the MSI forums) containing posts from users who had managed to fry their boards with a fairly mild overclock/overvolt. The problems apparently seemed to stem from the NB heatsink making poor contact with the regulator mosfets, combined with a BIOS that only allows overvolting the CPU by changing CPU VDD (it won't allow adjustment of CPU Vcore independently). Soooooo, my questions:

1. What were the board temps like at stock and when OC'd? Notice anything alarming?

2. Did you overvolt the CPU to achieve your max OC? If so, did the BIOS allow independent Vcore adjustment? (Maybe this issue has been fixed with a BIOS update?)

3. How did you stress the CPU to determine if the OC was stable? Prime? OCCT? For how long?

Thanks in advance for any info. I really like the look of this board and all the reviews have been positive, but those couple of threads have me leaning toward Gigabyte right now.

Comment

they should have placed the OC dial at the back panel where the USB ports are located so that the user doesn't have to reach for it....

Comment

Working...
        X