Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold boot issue on Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

HI.
    I recently bought a Gigabyte mainboard GA-890GPA-UD3H v2.1. I have an issue, and i
    don't know where to look for, to solve it. My guess is that a cold boot is the issue.
    So, let's describe:
    I have a brand new system:
    MB: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H;
    CPU: Athlon II 640;
    Cooler: Schythe Ninja 3;
    Mem: 2x2 GB DDR3 Corsair 1333 Mhz XMS3 1.5V;
    Video : on board Ati hd 4290 256 MB;
    PSU: Sirtec 420 W;
    *** the rest doesn't matter i think ***

When i first switch on the PC, i see only 1 (one) GB of memory, windows is loading,
    and of course i have not any performance nor stability running applications.
    If i switch off the computer, then on, everything is fine, meaning i see 4 GB RAM on
    boot, then very good performance in windows and stability.
    This is happening only if i let the PC shut off for 8 hours let's say. I have to
    switch ON then OFF, than again ON to get it work. It's very annoing.
    Everything is on AUTO on bios, so no overclocking.
    I checked memory with memtest, 4GB and is fine. Also with prime 95, no problem under
    heavy load, as long as i load the second time windows.
    I tried new and the newest BIOS for MB, same think is happening.
    I modify the voltage for memory up to 1.65V, no results. Also for NB and CPU.
    I searched the internet, and it seems that i'm not the only one in this situation.

Some people have the same issue with other mainboards.
    I checked also the voltages in BIOS on cold boot, and it seems OK.

I'm runnig out of ideas. What should i do?

Curently, the most convenient way is to let the PC in Standby (STR - Suspend to RAM).
    No problem, even if i wake up the system after 2 days. I still have 4 GB RAM active
    and in good shape.

Re: Cold boot issue on Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

I am strongly suspecting the power supply. You may want to set Bios to Load Optimized Defaults and try another power supply. One that offers more wattage, and that has a 2x4 ATX_12V/ATX connector. See page 25 of your motherboard manual. If you don't have another PSU see if you can borrow one to check this.
    1/2) ATX_12V/ATX (2x4 12V Power Connector and 2x12 Main Power Connector)
    With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation. The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start.
    To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand high
    power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not provide
    the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

mmm... what can i say, i have a good quality psu, real 420w v2.2 i think, with 4 pin 12v cpu power. I only have one audio expansion card, video is onboard, no overcloking, the cpu temp is 4 degrees greater than ambient. So no heavy load. i think my total load is about 170 W.

I don't have another psu to test.
      Regarding PSU, my guess is that it could be:
      1. That i don't have 8 pini 12v power cpu, just old classic 4 pin. is there 4 to 8 pin adaptors ?
      2. in mb manual it is written that pin 20 should be -5v. but i know that -5v pin was out long time ago....2005 i guess. ATX v2.x hasn't -5v pin.
      Do i need an old psu, with -5v pin ?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ATX:
      Pin No. Definition
      1 3.3V
      2 3.3V
      3 GND
      4 +5V
      5 GND
      6 +5V
      7 GND
      8 Power Good
      9 5VSB (stand by +5V)
      10 +12V
      11 +12V (Only for 2x12-pin ATX)
      12 3.3V (Only for 2x12-pin ATX)
      Pin No. Definition
      13 3.3V
      14 -12V
      15 GND
      16 PS_ON (soft On/Off)
      17 GND
      18 GND
      19 GND
      20 -5V
      21 +5V
      22 +5V
      23 +5V (Only for 2x12-pin ATX)
      24 GND (Only for 2x12-pin ATX)

Comment

Do i need an old psu, with -5v pin?
        No. You need a Main Connector 20+4Pin=24pin and a (1 x 4+4-Pin 12V) or (2x4 pin 12v) atx connector. It's the same thing just in the wording.
        The 2x4 12v connector has 4- 12v yellow wires and 4- ground black wires. These are sometimes needed for an amperage boost over the 1x4 atx 12volt connector.
        It's used for the cpu and it plugs in over by the cpu. We have seen where this amperage boost is sometimes necessary on initial cold starts over the ATX-1x4_12v connector. It's simple 2x4 is twice as much amperage as the 1x4 is. Simply speaking the extra wires help.
        Also depending on your graphics card a PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, or 1 x 6+2-Pin needed for graphics cards
        That power supply as good as it may be is week for your new system.
        Click on details and compair to that power supply you are using.
        Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 &#47; EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
        With this code on that Antec you can get another 30% off. http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...x-landing.aspx
        Last edited by artdrivers; 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM.
        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
        Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Re: Cold boot issue on Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H - Same problem

I'm having a similar problem with my ga890gpa-ud3h ver2.0 mb. My system is:
          coolermaster hf-922
          coolermaster 600w psu
          gigabyte ga890gpa-ud3h(ver 2.0)
          Phenom II X6 1055T
          4gb Patriot 1600(xx2)
          gigabyte hd5770 1gb 128bit ddr5
          2 wd sata 3.0 500gb drives
          liteon sata d
          Windows 7 64 bit Utlimate

My system is bone stock except the Patriot memory is set at 1.6 volts rather than1.5 volts. The bios is FD and set to failsafe defaults. My drivers and os are current including version 10.9 Catalyst for the hd 5770 video card.

The system will run primetime on all six cpus at 500mb per cpu for 24 hours without issue, it will run memtest 4.10 endlessly without errors but if I turn the system off for more than a few hours it loops on bootup. I can restart the system if I power off the box, boot into safe mode and then restart Win 7.

Addendum: A quick glace at Tom's Hardware doesn't give a flattering review of the cm extreme power plus 600, they rate it closer to 450w and overpriced. Is my issue too little power on boot up as well?
          Last edited by jms@home; 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM.

Comment

jms@home load optimized defaults and set memory voltage to 1.6v. Although it could be a power problem. You may want to try a Windows7 repair install first. I have 'red' one took their computer into a computer store. They tried another power supply and found that it was the problem. I have also seen where the power supply was the issue several times here in this forum. I would purchase a good one online at a good price, and replace it myself. They are easy to install, and you can route the excess wire to your preference.
            Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums
            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
            Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

I am having the same problem with the 890gpa-ud3h mb(rev 2.0). I have an amd phenom II x6 1055t cpu, corsair tx750w ps, 4gb(2x2) corsair xms memory, gigabyte hd 5850 video. If i leave it running it is a dream, but shut it off over night and i have to restart 2 or 3 times for it to work properly.

I dont know if this is related but i just installed an Azuntech X-FI Bravura and when i reboot it disappears entirely, my volume control says no speakers or headphones are plugged in. I cant install the drivers, or see it in device manager. The only way to get it to work again is to shut the computer off and remove/replace it. I have tried all the pcieX1 slots and it is still the same. In the X8 slot my monitor stays in powersaving mode so i cant see whats happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Last edited by Falfour; 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

i have good news: i began to test each module of memory, i marked each stick, and one of two has problems. Instead 2 gb, i see 500 MB of memory for that problem stick. Now i start to verify and to test one or many of these advices, maybe i can make it work, even if memory kit has a life waranty;

- manual set ram timings instead af auto (even if it's the same timing); 9-9-9-24, 2T;
                - 1066 Mhz, 1.6V;
                - voltage of cpu and/or NB and/or DRAM up;
                - CnQ enabled/disabled;
                - enabled all cores;
                - PLL voltage up (1.3, 1.4, 1.5V);
                - NB/PCI/PLL voltage up (1.8, 1.81, 1.85);
                - cpu power conector 1x4 to 2x4 (maybe i can do it myself);

You try one or a combination of these and tell us what you obtain;

Good luck;

PS: If i can't find a good combination, of course i will RMA back to store the entire kit.

Comment

Re: Cold boot issue on Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H - Same problem

Originally posted by jms@home View Post
                  I'm having a similar problem with my ga890gpa-ud3h ver2.0 mb. My system is:
                  coolermaster hf-922
                  coolermaster 600w psu
                  gigabyte ga890gpa-ud3h(ver 2.0)
                  Phenom II X6 1055T
                  4gb Patriot 1600(xx2)
                  gigabyte hd5770 1gb 128bit ddr5
                  2 wd sata 3.0 500gb drives
                  liteon sata d
                  Windows 7 64 bit Utlimate

My system is bone stock except the Patriot memory is set at 1.6 volts rather than1.5 volts. The bios is FD and set to failsafe defaults. My drivers and os are current including version 10.9 Catalyst for the hd 5770 video card.

The system will run primetime on all six cpus at 500mb per cpu for 24 hours without issue, it will run memtest 4.10 endlessly without errors but if I turn the system off for more than a few hours it loops on bootup. I can restart the system if I power off the box, boot into safe mode and then restart Win 7.

Addendum: A quick glace at Tom's Hardware doesn't give a flattering review of the cm extreme power plus 600, they rate it closer to 450w and overpriced. Is my issue too little power on boot up as well?

2010_10_27 So my new ps arrived Monday,OCZ Fatality 750W, removed cm 600 and installed. No problems Monday or Tuesday but bsod on Wednesday. Only changes made other than ps were changed kb and mouse from ps2 kb to usb kb anmd mouse. Are there any known usb driver issues with this board?

Comment

try use more wattage on your power supply for your setup...

Comment

Originally posted by zoters View Post
                      try use more wattage on your power supply for your setup...
                      I hope you don't mean that for JMS@Home.

@ JMS@home, run memtest and try running with different RAM setups especially trying sticks individually.
                      Silverstone FT02S | ASRock 870 Extreme 3 | AMD Phenom II x6 1055t w/ Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B | 8gb Corsair XMS3 1333mhz | Powercolor HD 5770 1GB | 250GB Seagate, 500GB Hitachi | Seasonic X-650 | Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Comment

Working...
                      X