questions questions questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions questions questions

ok.. I know you guys get this question a lot, and after looking around and seeing that the unexperienced have this similar question i hope i dont upset anyone. so here goes...

I have an Asus A7V266-C motherboard running on a version 1010 driver. Now seems that according to the handy dandy Asus Updater a version 1013 is available for my bios (incidentally im having problems with the Asus Updater... is it just me?). Sure enough when i checked on the Asus webpage i found that there are 1010 1011 1012 and 1013 drivers available.
    My question is... do i want to upgrade the bios? I know the saying... if it works dont fix it, but i cant help but think im missing out on some cool unknown (to me) potential of having all the updated drivers on my system.
    My follow-up question is... how hard is it to do this bios updating shtuff? I know it involves downloading the drivers to a floppy disk and rebooting with that and so on and so forth, but seems some where down the line i got this utility called WinFlash... could that make it some what easier to do all this?

As you can tell im fairly ignorant about all of this, but im trying to learn and i figure the best way to learn is to do it. If i seem too ignorant to help then let me know and i wont even attempt to ruin my computer.

1 last thing before i go... i downloaded SiSoftware Sandra and on the list of tips they offer when running the Performance Wizard is:

"The BIOS can be shadowed. Shadowing is a technique of copying the BIOS program from slow EPROM or EEPROM to RAM. This may yield some increase in performance.
    Fix: Go to BIOS set-up and make sure that System BIOS is both shadowed and cached."

Thing is try as i might i cant seem to find a place that says anything about "shadowing" in the Bios. Where do i need to look to see if i have it enabled?

Well even if you folks cant or are unwilling to help me out, i just wanted to let ya'll know what a blessing this website and especially the Forum has been to me.
    Thanks
    Drift

Like Darth said in another thread and i agree with him is the only two reason why you would need a BIOS Update...

1) "You are having problems which the new revision is designed to fix; "

2) "The new revision adds a feature in which you want to have the ability to use it"

Now if you don't apply to any of these DO NOT bother...if you read the contents that the new Update will bring on the ASUS website and you don't need or don't care for it...don't try it. Flashing a BIOS can sometimes be tricky and you need to perform it well the first time...if not it can be too late and your MOBO will either need to be replaced or replace its BIOS memory chip. I flashed mine just recently for the time but i took my sweet time ...and read through the instructions my ABIT mobo manual came with...bt i applied to one of the reasons..wanting to use a new processor that my older version wouldn't support.

Hope that helps...: peace2:
    - Damien

Comment

If you look closely at the "more" links next to the BIOS updates on the Asus website concerning your board, you'll find the BIOS updates do thyese four things.

1010 - Support AMD Athlon XP 2200+
      1011 - Support AMD AthlonXP 2600+
      1012 - Support more different BIOS flash ROM
      1013 - Calibration for hardware monitor chip

Do you really need any of these things? ... i thought so.
      And if the Asus is using the Award BIOS (which it should) go to the Advanced Chipset tab, caching and shadowing the BIOS should be somewhere near the top. Laters.

Comment

well... well... ...sigh, i guess yer right i dont really need any of those things. Thanks for helping me not destroy my computer. Ill try in a couple years when im a bit more experienced and i want to upgrade.
        :)
        Drift

Comment

You should try it when...well your MOBO is already worthless ...and wanna learn ...so if you do mess it up nothing will be missed...
          - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by FLaCo
            ...well your MOBO is already worthless ...
            i missed it... how did it get worthless already?

Comment

A workin' mobo is always of use. :devil:

Comment

What i think Flaco meant was i should play with it in some undetermined future when this comp is considered far past its prime (thus worthless).

good idea actually... think ill rip into that old Celeron 366 i have sitting in the closet and see how that thing works.

Drift

Comment

Gotta agree. If everything is fine, don't mess with it. Depending on the type of bios you have makes all the difference. I just flashed mine recently, and it was a piece of cake. My board is a Soyo Dragon+ and the bios is award. Soyo's site had full instructions on how to do it. But, again if you screw it up, you have to pull your chip and send it back to the manufacturer for them to flash it! Down time sucks! :D

Comment

YOU CAN SEND IT BACK AND THEY'LL FIX IT?!?!?!?!?!?

Well damn... maybe ill go dig that Asus A7V133 from out of the trash can.... TWO YEARS AGO!!! I wish i would have known they did that. RMA time sucks thou. Broke the plastic hinge for Socket A on my last KG7-RAID and they sent me a newer version with the metal hinge.

But all in all i cant really see how someone could "screw up" a BIOS update. Its so easy. Mine only got screwed becasue my power supply was bad, it always made my system restart and i didnt realize that it would prolly happen when i was updating as per Murphy Law. So i restart and i saw black. I spent 150 or so on it, and got pissed off when i broke it, but it was fun taking it down to the shooting range...

Comment

Couldn't ya get a loan of another BIOS for a "Hot Swap" or was that the board with the soldered on BIOS? :?:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                        Couldn't ya get a loan of another BIOS for a "Hot Swap" or was that the board with the soldered on BIOS? :?:
                        <center>:cheers:</center>
                        I didnt know BIOS chips were removable back then. In reality i still dont know as i have never had the need to remove one. Guess im just too good at them BIOS updates now.

Comment

Working...
                        X