GA-7VAX Processor Speed Readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-7VAX Processor Speed Readings

First time setting up an AMD system. I have the GA-7VAX, with a 2100+. When the system boots, it reads it as a 1500+, is this normal, or do I need to make a change in the BIOS to have it read correctly?

Could this cause a hang in trying to install WinXP Home?

Thanks!

This is not normal. There should be a small white switch on your board for FSB. It is set from the factory at 100MHZ (don't ask why), you need to switch it to 133MHZ for it to recognize the processor correctly. Hope this helps. :bounce:

Comment

Press DEL at startup and get yourself into the BIOS.
      Go to CPU Speed area... called different things... cant remember any on of them... usually top right or right option.

Change your FSB speed to 133.

Comment

Just check the manual again but that board probably has a jumper or dip switch on it to select the 133MHz settin' (my GA-7vrxp does). ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I bought one of these boards (7VAXP Ultra) around 2 weeks ago for a build. Then I saw a ton of negative revies, saying it was unstable and a terrible board.
          Well it must be terrible computer builders, because this board rocks!!! It is stable as a rock with an Athlon XP 2100. I have been playing Unreal 2003 and never had a lockup.
          Some poeple can't even get past the BIOS on this, must not be readin the instructions.
          Love this board!! :thumb:

Comment

Hmmmm.... errrr..... very interesting...

Switched it... Now I got no video support..... errrr mmmmm.....

I know the board is 4x/8x, but the VC I have is 2x/4x, could the AGP voltage change when you adjust it up to 133Mhz? Thanks....

Comment

No, but if you changed the multiplier in a locked CPU it wont boot.... or... did you go higher than 133?

Comment

No it can't but maybe the video card isn't seated properly (I had to attack my new P4 case to file a bit out of the case slot for my GF4 Ti4200 VIVO but likely just not quite bedded properly). Poorly seated memory can cause no video as well. ;)

Comment

Okay, verification confirmed.

If the CPU Clock is set to 100Mhz, I have AGP video support.
                  If the CPU Clock is set to 133Mhz, I DO NOT have AGP video support.

Any ideas?

Mark

Comment

I shouldn't need to change the CK_RATIO, right? Default is AUTO, and that's where I left it.

Comment

Go back to 100MHz then and Load Safe Defaults (or appropriate) in BIOS and then change the FSB. ;)

Just out of curiosity what memory do ya have there? :?:

Comment

If that doesnt work... since your changing your FSB in the BIOS, your MoBo might want a Jumper set to something to enable a Jumper-Free BIOS (Sounds redundant, huh) ... so then you gotta bust out your manual and read the 2-5pg section on Jumpers.

Comment

It's very unusual as I find Gigabyte boards to be the quickest and easiest to setup. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                            It's very unusual as I find Gigabyte boards to be the quickest and easiest to setup. :confused:
                            I decided not to touch giga**** again Ive had way to many problems with it.
                            Just the other day I was asked to build
                            GA-7VAX rig for someone and the mobo came in faulty
                            but I'm with the guys you should be able to change the FSB to 133 in the BIOS. Most cases the Jumpers are set for the bios to make the decision

Long live EPoX :)

Comment

Yes EPoX for us ppl who yurn for darkside adventures without costin' us an arm and leg in the process. :devil win

Comment

Working...
                              X