The 865PE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 865PE

Well I found this for you Intel junkies.

The good news for Pentium 4 buyers on a budget is that the 865PE should show substantial performance deltas over older 845-based systems in applications where memory bandwidth matters. If the 865PE can best the 850E, and only trail slightly behind the 875P, then there's no reason for most users to even consider an 845 system . Intel is now poised to deliver a level of performance into the market for mainstream home and business PCs that is unprecedented. Coupled with Intel's new 800MHz FSB CPUs, the 865PE can become the core of very affordable PCs.

ExtremeTech

This one seems cool.

The only real difference between Springdale and Canterwood is that Canterwood has PAT technology which offers a 7 - 8% increase in performance and the catch with PAT is that it will only work when the FSB and memory bus are running 1:1.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I believe there are a few morte differences. the 875 will take ECC ram has has more raid functinality than does the 865, htough for the average user this is generally inconsequential.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
        The only real difference between Springdale and Canterwood is that Canterwood has PAT technology which offers a 7 - 8% increase in performance and the catch with PAT is that it will only work when the FSB and memory bus are running 1:1.
        I thought PAT was enabled on anything past 200FSB and 800/STRAP no matter what the mem settings ; 3:2 , 5:4 , 1:1 , etc

Am I wrong in this ?

TIA

stereo55
        * i7 920 D0 @ 3.8 - Evga x58 Tri-SLi
        * 2x Samsung 410 slim 250's = RAID0 - Samsung F3 1TB - 18gig Mushkin 1333 - Evga 560 x2-SLi - Corsair 1000HX/CM Cosmos 1010 - Windows 7 Ultimate

* XFi Titanium - Klipsch 4.1's/Altec center channel - Soyo 24" - 42" Samsung B450 Plasma
        * "Random segments of code and ghosts in my machine"
        Heatware

Comment

It seems that asus and abit have found a way to enable PAT on their Springdale boards with just a BIOS update, there is a good article at tomshardware.com about how they did it :D

Comment

u guys are soo funny jeesh..the PAT is a marketing gimmik. check the inquirer.com i saw it somewhere that it said pat was just a marketing gimmik:thumbs do

Comment

Originally posted by oboeman2002
              u guys are soo funny jeesh..the PAT is a marketing gimmik. check the inquirer.com i saw it somewhere that it said pat was just a marketing gimmik:thumbs do
              :rofl: just like that hyperthread thingy then right..? :rofl:

Comment

PAT must be one hell of a marketing gimmick since it actually increases memory bandwidth : party ha

Comment

Sorry but it's physically impossible for it to increase the memory bandwidth (that's what overclockin' is about) though it can make better use of it.

Comment

The Asus P4P800 (i865pe) is better than some i875p based mobos. Unless the prices come closer bw 875p and 865pe, the 865pe mobos are the better choice. The saved money can be used to buy PC3500 or even PC3700 rams providing a higher memory bandwidth and great overclock potential that comes with them.

Comment

yeah there's actually a few 865pe boards that can outperform some of the not-so-hot 875s now.

ABIT and ASUS have both unlocked "something similar" to PAT, and claim significant performance boosts.

My P4P800D is fast enough for me.

Comment

I think I read that the 865PE chips are just 875P chips that didn't pass Intel's testing for PAT. Officially PAT is disabled in the 865PE, unofficially mobo manufacturers have nebaled it but just can't call it PAT (MSI call it MAT, Asus call it Hyperpath). 865PE also still has the CSA bus gigabit LAN if the manufacturer chooses to use it. Dunno about the ECC but realistically performance users aren't interested as it drops performance anyway

Comment

fragman, that should be correct information but I'm not 100% sure. I read something similar too but one never knows until u get an electron microscobe and open up the chipset.

Comment

Working...
                          X