Video Game processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Game processors

It seems that the new playstation 3 that will be coming out will use cell technology that will enable many processors to act as 1. They say it will have the power of 100 pentium 4s. What do you think?

ok i think you have some facts a bit off here is the original article http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2120395,00.html

I quote "roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz" this is not running 100 p4s at once since when running more then one chip you can use something like parrallel transfer or use multiple channels to do the work and get it done faster if its used correctly

Comment

yes, yes. I got my information from a gaming magazine not from a strictly informative basis and I wasn't strictly quoting it either. I was just wondering what you thought about the whole cell theory? I doubt it will go any further atleast in the gaming business because it will be ***** to program for.

Comment

well i think this cell technology is a farily good idea but as far as it being implimented there will have to be major software changes to acually use it properly, if you look at any P4 with HT it is much like the cell concept and as many ppl have seen and disabled their HT on the cpu as bearly any program out there use it and the ones that dont use it run slower with the the option ON so definatly that will be a main concern. I still think that the future in cpus is with nanotechnology or even biotechology but i think nano before bio. I know that we do have the techology to make the nanotechnology possible today but at what cost... as we have the ability to constuct things from a single molecule by adding different atoms and molecules to it, making any thing we want but then going back to COST

Comment

Working...
        X